Monday, February 21, 2011

My Trip to Bombay, India (Day 19): Lunch at Colaba Home

For lunch today, we started with some saria (not picture) which is a shrimp chip and khaman bhokal. It's a bread like food that's made from gram flour (yellow peas). It's very moist, almost wet. It's served with chopped onions and cilantro. I liked it. I can't really describe the taste but it's fresh and not very overwhelming. A light snack before a meal.

And here's our spread for lunch! Mmm, I always look forward to these home cooked meals.
Here's some boomla fish (Bombay duck) that was sauteed with masala and topped with cilantro (they call it coriander in India. It was really refreshing and light. The meat was soft and sweet. The masala spices added a nice contrast to the natural taste of the fish. Again, the bones are completely edible which I devoured.
Here's fried boomla which is how you'd usually find the fish prepared. The fish is lightly coated in masala and flour then fried. This version is pretty tasty as well. If I had to choose between the two preparation, I think I would pick the fried. That crust just adds a nice layer of texture to the otherwise soft-ish fish.
And chicken keemo was the other main dish. Ground chicken was cooked with lots of spices and a gravy made. Surprisingly the chicken wasn't dry at all. It was moist and delicious. The flavor of the spices were well balanced and went really well with rice.
And here's my playe of goodness: chicken keemo over rice and chopped veggies with a sauteed and fried boomla.
For dessert, we had son papri which is a flaky "cake" similar to Israeli halva. It's made from flour, ghee (clarified butter), pistcahios, and sugar. This particular one also had orange essence. It enjoyed this light and airy dessert. It was really flaky and delicate.
I also tried some suta feni which is also mainly made from sugar and flour. This was was pistachio flavored, obvisously. However, I didn't like this at all. It just tasted like sugar and flour to me. Bleh.

2 comments:

  1. I love the diced tomato and cucumber that's served with these meals =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's called Khamman Dhokla... It's so delicious with fresh grated coconut.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.