Friday, March 18, 2011

Cooking: Onigiri and Broccoli Slaw

Alright, I admit it. I haven't been cooking much lately. From the big trip to other priorities, my cooking has definitely fallen behind. Let's not even get into baking. So when one night I was looking in the fridge for something to eat but only saw leftover ingredients, I decided to put them together into something edible. So here's some onigiri (Japanese rice balls) and broccoli slaw.

Many times I only eat the broccoli crown leaving my with the stems. I don't like to throw things away so I kept it. I don't like broccoli in my stock either. So what to do besides cream of broccoli soup which I dislike. I decided to make an Asian slaw out of it.

I took the stems and sliced them thinly.
Then I prepared a marinade/dressing for the broccoli while I blanched them lightly. In the bowl, I have soy sauce, chili garlic paste, and mayo.
I mixed it well and tasted. Too salty! So I added a little mirin (sweetener) and it was just right.
Once the broccoli is cooked and still retains its crunchiness, toss in the dressing. The residual heat will help the green absorbs the dressing. Put aside.
Next the onigiri. I used a Japanese sweet rice which comes out a little sticky.
Once the rice is cooked and still piping hot, I added some sushi powder to the mix. I refrain from using liquids because this is much easier to control in terms of measurement. Toss quickly until you reached the desired level of tang to the rice.
And lastly, I found a half eaten jar of salmon flakes in the fridge.
Once the rice has cooled enough to handle, I scooped out a ball, then flattened it. I added the salmon flakes on top. See the amount below? That's too much filling. Add less.
Then I wrapped the whole thing into a ball doing my best to keep all the salmon inside. If you have wet hands, this process is much easier.
Then with my hands facing each other perpendicularly, I formed the famed triangle out of the ball. Keep tossing the rice ball and forming the triangle until the sides are flat. Lastly, wrap some seaweed around the bottom to prevent it from sticking to your plate.
I made enough onigiri to share! From let to right, you can see my progress and improvement in onigiri making. Man, it's been a really long time and I've definitely lost my touch.
Flavor wise, I thought these rice balls were just okay. I wasn't too excited about them. The salmon was okay but I needed to add some soy sauce to the mix. The broccoli slaw was okay as well. Not too exciting. I just ate it for the garlic chili paste flavor and the crunchiness of the broccoli.

Lesson learned: I need to work on the flavor and texture of these rice balls.

1 comment:

  1. Me like onigiri with more seawood wrapped on it. :P

    ReplyDelete