Sunday, April 24, 2011

Cooking: Beef Ho Fun

If you read my blog often, then you would know that Mr Meat and Potatoes really enjoys beef ho fun. This dish is mainly made with thin slices of beef stir fried with flat rice noodles. So I decided to finally give a go to make this at home. First, I gathered my meat which actually was leftover rib eye steak. The noodles I bought from a tofu store on the corner of Grand Street and Bowery in Chinatown for $1. I also decided to add some bean sprouts for texture and freshness, as well as a side dish of bok choy.

I started the dish by marinating the beef a little bit in some xiao shin wine (or brandy would work as well), both light and dark soy sauce, salt, and pepper. Then I turned on the stove and heated up a pan. Some vegetable oil was added and let to heat until slightly smoking. I tossed in the beef and tossed it around until cooked through. A wok would work really great here.

After the beef if cooked through, I took it off the flame and removed it from the pan. Then I added the noodles into the same pan. I tossed it until it softened up and added some dark and light soy sauce and a splash of sesame oil. When the noodles are just about done, I added the beef back into the pan. I tossed the ingredients together until well mixed. Lastly, I tossed in some bean sprouts and turned off the stove. I tossed the dish again to distribute the sprouts. The residual heat from the dish will cook them though. Some green scallions would also work really well with the sprouts.

In another pan, I heated it up with some vegetable oil then added the boy choy. Some salt was added then covered slightly. I let the vegetables steam for about five minutes then I uncovered the pan. I tossed them around to make sure all the leaves are wilted and softened.
So how did the dishes come out? The beef ho fun was too salty. The trouble with using leftover steak is that it is already heavily salted. So the addition of soy sauce and more salt was overkill. Next time, I'll try to use fresh beef instead.

The noodles came out better. They weren't mushy and in fact was very good texturally. The flavor was pretty good as well since they absorb anything that you add to it. So in this case, they tasted like soy sauce.

The boy choy was a really choice for side dish since there wasn't any other major vegetables in the dish. For a little more flavor, I can cook the boy choy with some garlic and ginger next time.

I really enjoyed this dish and would definitely give it a go again. Hopefully, I'll get the salt right next time.

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh it's 'dry' chow ho fun... there was a month or two I was trying to make the wet kind (cuz that's what I prefer)... you'd think it would be easy but no :(
    That and Cantonese style chow mein... I suck at making noodles. Yours looks good, too salty even so. Reminds me I have leftover ribeye in the fridge... maybe I'll toss that with some cooked noodles. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @FF: The wet kind is usually a gravy of some sort made with soy sauce, cooked on bits from the beef, water, and corn starch. Sometimes oyster sauce too. You should probably do this step right after the beef and remove everything to a dish before adding noodles to the pan.

    ReplyDelete