Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Nyonya

Doc Nut and I were wandering around Chinatown one day in search of some treasure. However, before we could set sail on our adventure, we had to fill our bellies. Big Wong was offered up on the table but I wanted to try something different for a change. Nyonya was passed by on our walk and so it was easily decided. Besides, I haven't had Malaysian food in ages.

It was a chilly day so I opted for some hot tea but she was all over the grass jelly drink with soy bean milk ($3). I think it's one of her favorites.

I was feeling particularly hungry that day and took over the ordering process. Doc Nut didn't mind at all. First, a baby oyster omelet ($9). The thin crepe like egg pancake with chives enveloped small oysters. Though I wish the seafood was more plentiful, I really enjoyed this dish. Small little plump oysters popped in my mouth as I bit into it.
With that, we also ordered some Hainese chicken ($8.50 for 1/2) which was really juicy and tasty. The steamed chicken was really tender and had a lot of flavor. The soy sauce added some more saltiness to the meat but overall, it was really nice.
For entree, I had the fried pearl noodle ($9) which were these oblong shaped noodles with a slight chew that's stir friend with shrimp, squid, pork, eggs, bean sprouts, and other things. The taste was pretty good. Nice soy sauce flavor and stir fried goodness.
She had the choe kueh teow ($7) which was Malaysian stir fried flat noodles with the same kind of ingredients. Honestly, they tasted pretty similar. The texture of the noodles made the biggest difference.
Nyonya was pretty good and I would probably go again when I get the chance. It's not anything mindbreaking but sometimes you just want some good salty food.

Nyonya
199 Grand Street
New York, NY 10013
(212) 334-3669

No comments:

Post a Comment