Sunday, May 29, 2011

Doughnut Plant

Oh Doughnut Plant, you make such delicious goodies. I'm a sucker for you and will stand in line for some of your offerings.

The Blackout doughnut is a favorite amongst many people especially chocolate fiends. It's a chocolate doughnut filled with chocolate cream, glazed with chocolate, and sprinkled with chocolate.

Look at that filling inside. Goodness in every bite.

I'm more of a traditionalist and had the glazed. Oh glazed, how yummy you were! Sticky, sweet and perfectly soft. A big doughnut indeed but not too much for my stomach.
And to try something new, I had the pistachio which was actually off putting. The flavor was very close to almond but more in the marzipan way. It wasn't what I was expecting and certainly wasn't what I would enjoy. This was actually the first doughnut that I disliked from the Doughnut Plant. However, I ate it all anyway.
And to redeem itself, I went to the relatively new location of the Doughnut Plant at the Chelsea Hotel. They were running down to their very last doughnuts so I snagged a oatmeal doughnut. This cake doughnut was heartier and tasted similar to carrot cake. The oatmeal on the outside was a nice textural balance with the softness of the doughnut and the creaminess of the glaze. It was good but not a favorite. I'm more partial to yeast doughnuts anyway.

Doughnut Plant
379 Grand Street
New York, NY 10002
(212) 505-3700

220 West 23rd Street
New York, NY 10011
(212) 675-9100
doughnutplant.com‎

2 comments:

  1. Blackout...from a chocolate coma.

    I'm happy whenever the 23rd loc. has it.
    I'm not as fond as the other chocolate donuts the have though like Valrhona or Triple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you must try the peanut butter and jelly... SO GOOD!!

    ReplyDelete