Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Lunch Week 21: Summer Salad with Grilled Salmon

So every Sunday, I head over to the kitchen to whip up a big batch of food for lunch next week. Yes, I brown bag. And I almost always do it, unless I become too busy to even buy cold cuts from the deli. I do it for several reasons being health, finance, and laziness. Now, you may think that spending hours on a day off to prep and cook five meals at once is hardly lazy. But let me remind you, I hate it when the time comes to decide what to eat for lunch every day. I work in Midtown so the choices are endless. My problem, the more choices, the harder it is for me. So it's much easier for me to have my lunch ready and already decided.

So my lunch for the week: Summer Salad with Grilled Salmon

The other day, I had a meeting with a very busy company lawyer. We worked while he ate his lunch. It was already 3pm. Of course, I had already eaten at a proper lunch hour (lucky me) but his salad with salmon smelled so good. I wanted a piece of it even though I wasn't hungry at all. Days passed and I still couldn't get that salmon out of my head. So when the opportunity came up to make another lunch, I jumped on it. Everything just worked out for me this past weekend. Salmon was on sale at the supermarket and I had access to the grill.
Each salmon fillet was quickly marinated with seafood seasoning, pepper, lemon juice, and oil. Then onto a hot grill on medium indirect heat. I cooked them for about 5 minutes on each side. If I were to eat these right away, I would have cooked them for less. I do enjoy a rare inside of a salmon steak. However, I planned to cube these up and have them last the week. Fully cooked is the way to go.
Once you place the salmon on the grill, do not move them. They'll stick instantaneously. However, as they cook and caramelize, the meat will come right off. And I was right! Nice grill marks and didn't even stick. Ah, the wonders of science.
While the salmon rested, I prepped the other ingredients. I stripped 5 ears of corn and cooked the kernels with salt and pepper. I diced up some colorful bell peppers I had from last week, as well as some celery, carrots, cucumber, and red onion. Lastly, I diced up some ripe avocado for allow the salad to have some creaminess without adding any dressing.

This salad tasted really refreshing. All those summer ingredients were so light but added lots of flavor. I was right about the avocado. It really did add a nice creaminess to the salad when I mixed it up. I wish there was more, actually. Lastly, the fish. The meat was tender and juicy but it was slightly fishy tasting. I wonder if this could be due to the quality of the fish or the cold factor. Nonetheless, fishiness doesn't really turn me off, especially when cold. However, if you're particularly susceptible to the taste of seafood, I would try a better quality cut or eat the fish fresh from grilling.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I want your salmon, and I'm eating my own salad right now. Took your notion of not putting dressing on but using 'juicier' ingredients to top and it's working nicely. Roasted beets :)

    I tend to eat my summer corn raw off the cob, have you tried that? So good!

    BTW, when I'm cooking salmon for the week, I tend to leave it more undercooked the first day. That might be because I usually heat it up... but I hate fully cooked salmon. I'm going to try this for next week's salads. Wait, I don't have to wait. I can do that this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @FF: I have tried raw corn but didn't like it. I think it actually gets sweeter when you cook it.

    Also, I would do the same if I were reheating my salmon throughout the week. But my fully cooked salmon isn't bad since it's not dry. Really juicy and lots of flavor.

    ReplyDelete