Thursday, July 7, 2011

BCD Tofu House

One day after a heavy drinking Midtown Lunch Happy Hour drinking fest, a few of us went to eat. We were close to K-Town so we hopped into BCD Tofu House for some grub.

I've head many recommendations about BCD Tofu house over and over again. One of the main claims of excellence is their banchan (little appetizers). These come free and are really nice to pick on until the main courses come out. Every restaurant has its own variety of banchan and it may change season to season. Below are some dishes of kimchi, pickles, mashed potatoes, broccoli, and spicy jelly (maybe jellyfish?).

But the one thing that people really look forward to is the fried fish. That's a whole fried fish for free. Wow, that's a really good deal. Well, not if you don't like fish. But I love fish and this was great.
Someone also ordered an appetizer of fried mandoo dumplings (large for $13). These were just okay for me. The wrapper was really fried crisp but I wasn't raving about the filling. However, they certainly we good enough to eat.
A few people, including Feisty Foodie, ordered the Dol Sot Bibimbap ($14). I think people enjoyed this but the hot stone bowl never got hot enough to create a rice crust. The different vegetables and meat all mixed up is quite a treat. A little gochuchang sauce and I'm set.
I ordered one of their special tofu soups: oyster ($13) which came out piping hot. The oysters weren't the freshest but I think the spice and heat killed anything that could have given me a bug. The tofu soup also came with a side of white rice that served as a great accompaniment for a sometimes too spicy bite.
Blondie ordered the Jae Yook Kimchi Bok Eum ($17) which turned out too spicy for her. I think the cold, plain tofu on the side should have helped with the spiciness but I guess not enough for her. The dish consisted mostly of pork and kimchi stir fried with hot sauce.
Lastly, BeerBoor ordered the Yook Hwe ($20) which turned out to be raw flank steak with veggies on the side. Unfortunately, the steak must have been frozen solid just prior to preparation because he found ice crystals in pretty much every bite.
The overall experience at BCD Tofu House was really good. I liked the atmosphere and the food though some people found it to be too spicy. Korean food can be really spicy. The banchan was really nice with the fish and I enjoyed my entree. Also, to end the night, we had a celebrity sighting. Yes, we saw Alexandria Ambrosio sitting at the table closest to the door. Ah, food and beauty. That's all I need.

For another opinion and better pictures of the night, please visit Feisty Foodie's blog post.

BCD Tofu House
17 W 32nd st
New York, NY 10001
(212) 967-1900
bcdtofu.com

4 comments:

  1. Oooh great pics! I have to try Tofu House now. Also, it also doesn't hurt seeing VS model Alejandra Ambrossio :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so hot that looking at your soondubu is making me uncomfortable hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM!!! This stuff looks fantastic...Korean food is the BEST!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spicy food and hot ladies. WIN!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.