Friday, July 22, 2011

Elsewhere [CLOSED]

Although I've never been to Caselulla, I've heard many good things about it. When Elsewhere opened up, I read that it was from the same people that run Caselulla. I was immediately intrigued. One random weekend afternoon, I walked over with Mr. M&P for some brunch.

Once inside, we stood by the hostess stand until we were seated. As we stood there, a man that worked there ignored us the whole time. We weren't sure if was the host or not, but we wouldn't even look up nor make eye contact. In fact, he was trying his hardest to not look at us. We waited until someone else came over to seat us. That interaction was really strange. But whatever, he wasn't serving us and we really wanted to eat.

We looked over the menu and saw that bread a bread basket was not included for free. No biggie. I've been to other places that did the same thing. Once we were able to flag down our waiter, I ordered the Bread Plate ($8) to share. A cute little parcel wrapped in parchment paper came shortly after along with housemade cinnamon raisin cream cheese and grapefruit marmalade.

I quickly opened up the package was presented with some warm bread including sweet sticky bunsg with pecans, biscuits, and scones. These were okay because they felt kind of heavy. However, I appreciated them being served warm. It makes all the difference.
After the bread came, we waited well over 20 minutes for our food to arrive. That seems like a long time for brunch food. Luckily, we had our bread to snack on. When the food finally arrived, they looked promising. I ordered the poached eggs with Old Bay potatoes and choice of sausage ($11). As you can see below, my eggs are actually scrambled and not poached. Normally, I would send it back but we had already waited so long for them. And our waiter seemed aloof. It was really difficult to catch him for something, even water. Besides, scrambled eggs are fine by me. I just prefer poached. The potatoes were nicely crisp with lots of seasoning which I enjoyed. The sausages were okay and tasted just fine.
Mr. M&P had the buttermilk pancakes with a side of bacon. He took one bite and noticed that the pancakes were raw. Not a little soft and runny but raw. It was inedible. This we did send back because he couldn't eat it at all. While they took the plate away, they us with the bacon. Normally that would be a good thing but the bacon was also inedible. I tried cutting it with my fork and knife and it didn't even make a dent. I picked it up and gnawed on it and had a really difficult time getting through it. It was tougher than jerky and more like leather. We eventually gave up. We could see that our neighboring tables were having the same issues with the bacon. How unfortunate.

When the pancakes came back, we could tell that they just recooked the original pancakes some more. The edge where he cut was now sealed off with cooked batter. This was really disappointing. They also gave us more of that terrible bacon.
We left feeling completely unsatisfied with our food and the service provided. It's been a really long time since we've been so unhappy with a meal. Sure we have some mediocre meals here and there but in the end we're okay with it. The experience we had at Elsewhere was just terrible from start to finish. I surely won't be going back here.

Elsewhere
403 West 43rd Street
New York, NY 10036
(212) 315-2121
elsewherenyc.com

3 comments:

  1. thanks for taking one for the team. now i know where NOT go to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sucks. I really love Casellula. I hope improve on Elsewhere... total shame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Raw to Burnt pancakes, chew-toy bacon, incorrect eggs, and bad service...that's horrible.

    Too bad this place can't take a hike, or go elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.