Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Lunch Week 25: Cod Cakes Lettuce Wraps

So every Sunday, I head over to the kitchen to whip up a big batch of food for lunch next week. Yes, I brown bag. And I almost always do it, unless I become too busy to even buy cold cuts from the deli. I do it for several reasons being health, finance, and laziness. Now, you may think that spending hours on a day off to prep and cook five meals at once is hardly lazy. But let me remind you, I hate it when the time comes to decide what to eat for lunch every day. I work in Midtown so the choices are endless. My problem, the more choices, the harder it is for me. So it's much easier for me to have my lunch ready and already decided.

So my lunch for the week: Cod Cakes Lettuce Wraps
I've finally had it with salads. As much as they were delicious and inventive at times, I couldn't take so many raw vegetables day in and day out. So when my original plans for seared cod over salad was dismissed, I had to think of something to do with my already defrosted cod fillets. And cod cakes came right to mind. I searched online and most recipes called for a very dense fried cod cake. I knew I didn't want that. So I thought about doing them in the style of crab cakes instead. Less flour and binding ingredients and more fish. I really wanted to be able to taste mostly fish.

I started the process by seasoning 5 cod fillets with salt, pepper, Old Bay seasoning, and vegetable oil. Into an oven at 375oF for about 30 minutes until the thickest piece is fully cooked.

The fish will firm up and become completely opaque when done. I let these cool as I prepped the vegetables.
In this bowl, I have finely chopped 2 carrots, 2 red bell peppers, 1 bunch of scallions, 1/2 bunch of parsley, and 1 red onion.
To that, I flake the fish by hand and mix it. I try to leave the fish pieces larger.
To that, I added a generous amount of seasoned bread crumbs and 6 eggs. I mixed thoroughly until it felt wet and slightly mushy.
Then I formed the patties. I placed them on an oiled baking tray as I made them. I ended up with about 20 patties, each the size of a baseball but slightly flattened.
Then back into the oven at 375oF for another 20-30 minutes until browned.
Let cool and serve on top of Boston lettuce leaves to use as your "bread".
The fish tastes pretty good especially with the Old Bay seasoning. However, the veggies added great texture and made me really happy. What's even nice is that this is so colorful. I like to see food that looks good. I mean, I'll eat brown mush but a colorful cod patty is just so much more appealing.

Anyway, this dish is perfect for the summer. It's light, refreshing and will leave you full without the heavy brick feeling. It may even be great for a party since it was made ahead of time.

4 comments:

  1. Looks great! And with all those veggies, it's really just a salad smushed together, so it totally counts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look fabulous! I think they would be great with some sort of tartar sauce. Will definitely be trying these!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum yum yum... give me some.
    Please.
    Hehehe

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.