Friday, July 8, 2011

Red Egg

This is the post the blogger lost and couldn't restore. Sigh...and it was suck a long post too. I guess this second run around won't be as insightful though my post aren't that insightful to begin. I just like to tell myself that. I don't really believe it.

Anyway, so I went to Red Egg recently with an online coupon in hand. Honestly, I wouldn't have went if I didn't have it. Before I went, I thought it was overpriced Americanized dim sum. But with the discount, it seemed a little more favorable to me: the consumer.

Red Egg is the type of dim sum place that uses the card menu technique of ordering. You won't find any carts rolling around. You won't hear ladies pushing their latest morsel. And most of all, the fried carts won't be rushing to us because we weren't all Chinese. Yes, you had to order from a menu with just written words. No picture, nothing. I think that's a bad way to sell dim sum. It's better to see and smell what you're about to eat. I think most people venture into eating new things better that way. If you describe the food, it gets lost in translation and ultimately people avoid it. But good thing I was around. I was able to mostly decipher the dishes for my guests.

We started with some garlic fried spare ribs ($5.50). The little nibblers of pork (bone-in) were crispy and delicious. The garlic flavor was really pronounced. Each piece didn't have a lot of meat in it but it was enjoyable anyway.

A personal favorite: steamed glutinous rice in lotus leaves ($4.50).

Unwrap the leaf and find a mound of rice inside. Stuffed inside that sticky rice is lots of meat. You would find chicken, pork, Chinese sausage, dried shrimp, and sometimes eggs. They'll throw some mushrooms in there for flavor as well. The rice was too soft here though. It made it difficult to use chopsticks. But the flavor was very nice.
Black pepper beef short ribs ($3.75). The meat was certainly tender and the flavor clean. Sometimes the meat can be really fatty and grisly but this was quite nice.
Steamed pork shumai ($3.75). A nice combination of pork and shrimp steamed until tender. The meat was juicy and a little fatty.
Black bean pork spare ribs ($3.75). This is one of my favorite dishes. I make this at home quite often. The flavor is both black bean and garlic. The pork is slightly fatty but really tender.
Rice skin noodle with beef ($3.75). The noodle was thick but not rubbery. The filling was nice though. Very savory and delicious. The vegetables on the side were a nice touch.
Rice skin noodle with shrimp ($3.75). Again, the noodle was too thick but the shrimp were large. That's always appreciated.
Ground pork, mushroom, and peanuts dumplings ($3.75). The skin was too thick here. When steamed, you should be able to see through the wrapper and see what the filling is. Below, you can tell that it was thick and opaque.
The filling was okay.
Shrimp stuffed hot peppers ($3.75). These were not too spicy though it differs from pepper to pepper. I tend to enjoy these a bit. I'm starting to like spicier and spicier things.
Steamed char siu (roast pork) baos ($3.75). These pillow soft buns are sweet bread stuffed with savory pork.
The rendition here was just okay. It really comes down to the pork and it wasn't that great here.
Fried pork and chive dumplings ($3.75). Thick skinned dumplings with Chinese chives and ground pork. The bottom was properly crisp.
Here is a closer look a the filling. A good balance of meat and vegetables.
Pan fried daikon cake ($3.75). The white turnip is grated then mixed with filler. Steamed solid them fried, this cake is usually really awesome. It was too soft here. The little pieces of Chinese pork sausage and dried shrimp just didn't do enough to bring it back to life.
And lastly, some soup dumplings ($5.50). Unfortunately, these were oversteamed. Therefore, the wrappers broke and the precious broth just flowed away. Really, really unfortunate.
Red Egg served dim sum that was overall just okay. They executed the classics just fine but it wasn't enough to warrant the higher prices. Also, the absence of push carts just isn't the same. One of the best aspects of dim sum (especially when bringing newbies) are those carts. They can look and decide themselves. Otherwise, they're left with me guessing what they want. Not fun. I don't think I would go back.

Red Egg
202 Centre St # 1
New York, NY 10013-3613
(212) 966-1123
redeggnyc.com

5 comments:

  1. that sucks that it was pretty mediocre. at least you had a coupon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there's benefits and downsides to the cart vs. card method. :)

    Also, now I want law mai gai. Thankfully, I have frozen ones that are pretty good... gonna go heat up my kitchen now steaming them haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lurve your photos... so yummy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would you like to get more visitors from New York?

    Submit your blog RSS url in zeole.com/nyc . This is a one time submission. This would automatically submit a preview of your latest blogpost in New York with a link back to your blog.

    Check out popular cities like http://zeole.com/sanfrancisco and zeole.com/chennai

    Enjoy more traffic from New York :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We should do sim sum soon :P

    ReplyDelete