Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Tuesday Nights: The Little Cheese Pub (CLOSED)

Towards the end of the last year, my friends thought that we weren't hanging out enough. It's true, we weren't. So they started Tuesday night get-togethers. Every Tuesday, we'll pick a bar to drink, eat, and hang out for a couple of hours. Whomever can make it will attend. If you're busy, it's okay. There's always next week. So this is Tuesday Nights on Tasty Eating where you will find bars that serve food and how we like them.

Recently, we headed out to: The Little Cheese Pub

The Little Cheese Pub has been on my radar for awhile now. I love the concept of cheese and drinks. I've been doing that in my own home for awhile. And now I have a place to go!

I arrived a little late to our Tuesday Night gathering and my friends had already ordered. Once I arrived, I briefly looked over the beer menu (though they also have a nice wine menu, as well) and picked the Moo Thunder ($5.50). I admit it, I was completely drawn in by the name. The image on the can was even better. Luckily, it was also a stout which is a style of beer that I very much enjoy. This version wasn't heavy like a Guinness tends to be. It had the full flavor of a stout beer but remained lighter than usual. It's a nice way to enjoy a dark beer in warmer months.

To snack on, we ordered a couple of dips (2 for $9): green and blue cheese. The green dip consisted of spinach and edamame while the blue cheese dip had port wine and clover honey. I thought the dips were just okay. The blue cheese dip didn't have much blue cheese flavor in it which was kind of upsetting. However, it did allow those who do not like pungent cheeses to try it.
When I arrived, there was just one little piece of a crostini left. It had pork belly and pate on it. Not bad. The pate had a nice liver flavor without being overly metallic in flavor. The toast was buttery and paired well with the meat.
I ordered some spicy peanuts and sweet and sour mushrooms (2 for $9). The peanuts were meh while the mushrooms were nicely sour to cut through the cheese that we were about eat.
I also ordered another toast with pate and sliced sausages on top. It was really good. It was meaty and rich in flavor. They gave just enough to enjoy the dish without feeling overwhelmed.
And then the main dishes came. They had ordered 3 different kinds of the mac n cheese (ranges from $11-$33 depending on the serving size). Below is the French Man Mac which came with Morbier cheese, duck meatballs, and balsam onions. The duck was a little gamey and the cheese was slightly pungent but all in a good way. This was definitely not for those who don't like a little funk in their cheese.
Here is the Grutzie Swiss Mac which included 3 different cheeses and an onion topping. This was really good. The cheese was well melted and smooth. It covered each and every inch of the pasta.
And this mac and cheese is not longer on the menu. I think it was a Spanish themed mac and cheese due to the olive tapenade on top. Again, really cheesy although the olives were almost an afterthought with all the cheese that was involved.
And lastly we were convinced in getting the Milk Cake for dessert. The waitress was really into this cake and so we obliged. It was very mediocre. It's simply a tre leches cake with a fruit compote on top. It didn't wow us at all. Next time, skip it.
I really liked the Little Cheese Pub. The atmosphere was really cute and catered to small and large parties. I would definitely come back here. I love cheese!

The Little Cheese Pub
362 W 23rd St
New York, NY 10011
(646) 863-7291
littlecheesepub.com

3 comments:

  1. ooh i have been wanting to check out this place! I love cheese too - and that funky one looks right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I hope I get to check it out sometime. I walked by it a few times and was suppose to drink/ eat there once but they were closing that time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! My work computer will let me comment again!

    My sis has been telling me about this place for awhile. I really want to try it out sometime soon! Definitely want some of that pate toast. Yummmmm

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.