Sunday, August 28, 2011

My Trip to North Carolina (Part 6): Saigon Bakery

Right after breakfast, we thought about lunch. Hahaha! We weren't hungry at the moment but we didn't want to decide when we were hungry either. Some talk about Vietnamese banh mi came up and it was settled. We were driving over 50 miles to get some ethnic food. Oh being into food is so difficult sometimes...hahahaha! To speed things up a bit, I volunteered to drive. So off we went onto the highway in search of some Vietnamese food. We finally found this small storefront located in a strip mall in a seedy looking part of town. Hello Saigon Bakery. We're here!

We went in and the place was vast. The counter and front kitchen area was normal. But if you walked to the bathroom, you can see a really huge kitchen area and lots of storage. Oh man, the possibilities.

Anyway, the weather was getting really hot so we looked some some refreshing drinks. Below, we tried the white gourd drink and chrysanthemum tea. Both were sweet but refreshing at the same time. The white gourd drink was almost creamy tasting. We though it could be some of the pulp. I grew up drinking chrysanthemum tea (mainly homemade) so this canned drink was only natural for me.

And our banh mi sandwiches. We all had the Classic Saigon Style ($3) which came with pate, Vietnamese ham, pork roll, cilantro, pickled daikon and carrots, jalapeno, and mayo. The bread was really light. I suspect the use of rice flour. A little more exploring and you can see an oven in the kitchen with loaves of bread. They make their own bread! Oooooh! Always a plus. Anyway, the rest of the different flavors mixed together really well tasting fresh, rich, tart, and spicy all at the same time.
My only wish was that they had more filling between the bread layers. What can I say? I like a good meat to bread to veggie ratio for my sandwiches.
Saigon Bakery didn't offer the best banh mi I've had but it was nice to have something different in this part of the country. I love BBQ but can't eat it all the time. I've tried, it's not good for my system.

Saigon Bakery
3808 High Point Road
Greensboro, NC 27407-4713
(336) 856-7667

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.