Monday, August 29, 2011

My Trip to North Carolina (Part 9): Bullock's BBQ

We decide to spend our last night in Durham. Looking for a place to eat, I decided to mention BeerBoor's recommendation: Bullock's. You see, he's a Duke alum and I trust his suggestions for good food, especially in the South. So off we went for some BBQ.

Bullock's has been around for ages. You can tell from the decor that looks like it hasn't changed...at all. But I liked it. It felt homey. It felt...real. Our waitress was even better. An old woman that called us honey. She still worked hard and stood on her feet. God bless her.

We each ordered a BBQ plate and snacked on some hush puppies while we waited. These were quite nice. Well fried and sweet.

Then our plates came out simultaneously. I had the barbecue and ribs plate with coleslaw. The ribs were spare ribs and quite large. Very meaty but not fall off the bone. But I prefer that. I like a chew to my meat. Pretty delicious and the sauce was sweet and tangy. The chopped barbecue meat tasted pretty good too with it's vinegary base. They chopped it that it retained some texture but was easy to eat without much chewing. The coleslaw was very nice as well. Vinegar based and necessary to cut through the heavier meat items.
Both Mr Peanut Head and Ms Mandoo had the barbecue plate. Their sides were mac n cheese, fried okra, coleslaw, and mashed potatoes. They licked their plates clean. And then helped me with my own.
Bullock's won't give you the best BBQ NC has to offer but it's solid Southern cooking. The waitress was super sweet and very attentive. The prices are cheap and the serving sizes are huge. I would come back without a doubt.

Bullock's BBQ
3330 Quebec Drive
Durham, NC 27705
(919) 383-3211
bullocksbbq.com

3 comments:

  1. Yes! I will have to go there, I like ribs not to fall off the bone

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, nice meats and sides. Sweety and tangy ribs. Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hm, looks like my comment disappeared. At any rate, I'm glad you enjoyed Bullock's! They're just so welcoming and enjoyable, that I always make a trip - I'm surprised you didn't go in on Family Style (though youwouldn't get ribs -- I didn't know ribs even were on the menu!).

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.