Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Tuesday Nights: Taproom 307

Towards the end of the last year, my friends thought that we weren't hanging out enough. It's true, we weren't. So they started Tuesday night get-togethers. Every Tuesday, we'll pick a bar to drink, eat, and hang out for a couple of hours. Whoever can make it will attend. If you're busy, it's okay. There's always next week. So this is Tuesday Nights on Tasty Eating where you will find bars that serve food and how we like them.

On this Tuesday Night, we headed out to: Taproom 307

Taproom is a fairly new bar. It's pretty spacious inside and the beer list is quite long. They certainly cater to people who are into craft beers which seems all the rage right now. I don't mind. I like having a nice variety. Options are always nice.

Taproom has about 40 beers on tap and every more in bottle. That's enough to satisfy almost any palate. Almost.

I started the night with an Empire Cream Ale ($7). Pretty nice. It was very easy to drink because it was light and not very bitter at all. I would even say that it was refreshing. A pretty good beer to have on a hot summer day.
Before I got there, my friends had gone ahead and ordered the wings ($7 for 12). It was a special of the night and was going to end soon. Thank goodness my friends know me very well. If they're is a special on food, tasty food, get it without asking me. They know I'll be thanking them later. These wings were very saucy and pretty spicy. However, it wasn't the smack you in the face kind of spice. It was the lingering heat that kept you happy all night.
We also ordered the plate of pulled pork nachos ($11) which was really a dud. Too many chips and not enough toppings. The pulled pork was almost non-existent and the cheese was completely lacking. I would not get this again.
The spinach and artichoke dip ($10) was even more strange. The dip itself was fine but the accompanying chips were evenly sprinkled with melted cheese. It was very ho hum.
One thing that really peaked our interest was the Foie Gras Poutine ($13). Yeah, it's probably gimmicky but no one cared. We all wanted to try it. The fries came topped with mozzarella cheese and Hudson Valley foie gras gravy. Unfortunately, this fell flat. The fries became completely softened from the start, the mozzarella was meh, and the foie gras gravy didn't taste of foie gras much or at all. Instead, it tasted of a lot of filler like flour to thicken it. I wouldn't get this again. The concept was great though.
We also ordered a side of sweet potato fries ($5) which came with ketchup and maple whiskey sauce. Thankfully these fries were crispy. They happily nibbled on these until the very end of the basket. As for the sauce, I wasn't too much of a fan. I'm mainly a purist when it comes to fries. If anything, I would use ketchup but many times I'll eat it plain.
And as a last minute decision to try to be someone healthy and have some kind of variety in our food, we had Tuscan Kale Salad ($9). This was very nice. The kale was fresh and crisp. The red onions added a natural spicy bite, the walnuts added a rich nuttiness, the pecorino cheese added creamy funk,  and the lemon brightened everything up. This was just lovely.
Taproom didn't do it for us in terms of food. We thought most of the dishes were mediocre and overpriced. However, the beer and drinks selection is pretty good. I liked my cream ale quite a lot. The also had a pretty good deal with some drinks/beers and a shot for around $12. Ms. Lollipop definitely enjoyed that menu quite a lot.

In the end, I'm torn with Taproom. I like their beer selection and the atmosphere is nice. However, their food wasn't appetizing. Maybe their entrees are better. I'd give it another shot.

Taproom 307
307 3rd Avenue
New York, NY 10010-3731
(212) 725-4766
taproom307.com

3 comments:

  1. Too bad the food didn't live up to the menu. Hopefully it was just an off night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. creamy funk... hehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like drink there but maybe eat elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.