Sunday, September 11, 2011

Cooking: Spicy Sausage Pasta

So on the last days in my old apartment, I took all my perishables and cooked them. But that had to work in some way. No wants to eat an ambrosia-esque creation with savory ingredients. Anyway, I found some really great ingredients hiding in my freezer and fridge. When I bounced the ideas in my head, a pasta dish automatically came into my head. So this is a spicy sausage pasta dish.

First, I defrosted the spicy Italian sausages and removed the casing. I cut them into smaller bit sized pieces.
I also took some baby bella mushrooms and sliced them.
I love the combination of onions and mushrooms so here's one white onion chopped.
A jar of stuffed hot peppers didn't go to waste. I chopped that up too.
Can't have Italian cooking with parsley, right?
And lastly, some leftover hot pepper spread. I usually use this for sandwiches but I only had a bit leftover. No need to pack that up. Into the sauce instead!
First I browned the sausage in a hot pan until browned on all sides.
Then in went the mushrooms and onions to soak up all that delicious pork juice and spice. Add a little salt too. Once the onions soften, add the chopped hot peppers, pepper spread, and tomato sauce (not pictured). I tasted it. Not spicy enough so I added a few dashes of Tabasco and some fried hot pepper flakes. Taste again. Ooooh, nice calm heat. Perfect.
In the background, I cooked some pasta and dumped it into the pan of sauce to finish.
The final product was pretty good. It was spicy but not overly so. Enough to clear your nose but not enough to make you cry. The only downside was that there wasn't enough sausage for the meat eaters. So I picked them out for them and ate my own without much. It's okay though. I didn't need it. I like the dish as a whole. I wish I had some olives too. I think the brininess would have been really great with the dish. I would definitely make this dish again even if I weren't cleaning out the apartment.

2 comments:

  1. YUm! I am hungry now!!

    This dish is winning but only because you used a wegman's product. :) jk jk. i love wegman's!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.