Thursday, September 29, 2011

Sullivan Street Bakery

It was another day that I found myself without a bagged lunch. It was a nice day out and I didn't want to go to the usual places. Well, I did want to go to my usual delicious places but I need to try new things. So I went to Sullivan Street Bakery to claim my online coupon with some delicious food.

Sullivan offers some delicious savory options for lunch. I started with their mortadella sandwich ($6) which was kind of small. However, the flavors were pronounced and very well balanced.

The mortadella which is the Italian version of bologna was creamy, soft, sweet, and just very good. The fontal cheese was very buttery yet didn't add much flavor. It added a creamy texture to the filling. The olive salad was very nice. The briny, saltiness really went well with both the meat and cheese. Lastly, the bread. Sullivan is known for their bread and supplies many of the larger restaurants around the city. The crust crackled under each bite while the inside was soft and held the filling in nicely.

Along with the sandwich, I also got a slice of pizza ($3.50). The toppings on this particular one was cauliflower, pecorino cheese, bread crumbs, and parsley. I really like it. The saltiness from the cheese was the main taste but the cauliflower was a nice background flavor which mellowed it out. The bread crumbs added more crunch which it didn't need. The crust itself was very thin and crunchy. I really enjoyed this slice but my favorite is still the potato.
To finish off the meal, I got something sweet. I picked the seasonal bomboloni ($3) which was white peach at the time. The doughnut was really soft and slightly sweet. The white peach jam flavor was light and very fragrant. This fried dough was really nice and ended my meal perfectly.
The retail storefront of Sullivan Street Bakery is small but the options are really nice. They're out of the way but worth trekking to. Luckily, I live and work in the area.

Sullivan Street Bakery
533 West 47th St # 1
New York, NY 10036-7903
(212) 265-5580
sullivanstreetbakery.com

3 comments:

  1. some of the best bread in the city. i still have yet to try their pizza place "Co."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm Italian bologna sandwich sounds good.
    Oh, bombolini!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to try this place... next time we go to your place, I'm going to pick stuff up from here. Oh, and this post reminded me I want to start making pizza again...

    ReplyDelete