Monday, October 17, 2011

Kashkaval

Doc Nut and I were on one of our lovely monthly dinners together. It was my turn to pick the place. I've heard so many good things about Kashkaval and I thought she would be the perfect person to share the experience with. When we arrived, the place was packed. Signs of a good place, no? But we put our names down and waited. Not very long after, we were sat at a 2 top and we ordered some wine.

Kashkaval is a cheese and wine bar that encourages lingering over food and beverages. Their staff is attentive and checks once a while to make sure everything is okay.

After looking over the menu, we decided to get a variety of food to snack on while chatting about our lives. We settled on the large sampler plate ($18) with the choice of 6 items. We went with roasted brussel sprouts, beet skordalia (spread), taramosalata (carp roe spread), taboule (parsley and bulgur salad), guacamole, and roasted cauliflower. The plate was really huge. We definitely could have had an entire meal with the medium sized plate. But I think we wanted to try a lot of the different items.

The brussel sprouts were nicely charred adding a nice sweetness to an otherwise bitter vegetable. The beet skordalia was smooth and sweet in a pleasant natural way. The color was beautiful. The taramosalata was really good. Creamy with a slight fish funk (in a good way!). The taboule was refreshing and paired well with the heavier items. It was fresh and slightly tangy from the vinaigrette. The guacamole was mediocre. It was too watery and didn't pack a lot of flavor. The roasted cauliflower had a pungent curry flavor that complemented it really well. It was really nice.

Of course, we can't eat all those spreads and dips without some warm and soft pita bread. So pillowy soft and a great food utensil.
And if that wasn't enough we ordered a small meat and cheese plate as well ($14). Unfortunately, I don't remember what I ordered. Don't get me wrong, it was very tasty. But I tried to try new things and I just can't remember the names right now. Darn, this really bothers me.
I really enjoyed Kaskaval. I loved how casual and welcoming it is. I love that it is in my neighborhood. Everything from the food, to atmosphere, to service, to wine was fantastic. I loved it. I would be VERY happy to go back. In fact, I will.

Kashkaval
856 9th Avenue
New York, NY 10019-4451
(212) 581-8282
kashkavalfoods.com

2 comments:

  1. I adore this place!! Their taramasalata is top 2 in the city imo... Turkish Kitchen was also really good but I've only been once, but I go back to Kashkaval constantly for theirs :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to stop by for the dips. I'm curious how the hummus is (I adore hummus). :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.