Saturday, November 19, 2011

Churrascaria Plataforma

On one weekend, some friends and I went to have a big meal together. It was in preparation of the drinking to come while watching college football. So what better way to soak up that booze than to fill our bellies with unlimited meat? Off too Churrascaria Plataforma we went with 8 people strong.

When we sat down, we quickly ordered some drinks. I like the caipirinha which is a Brazilian drink made with cachaca (sugar cane rum), sugar, and lime. It's a sweet drink so beware.

As quickly as the drinks came, so did the pao de quijo. This Brazilian bread is normally super flaky and filled with cheesy goodness. Unfortunately, they've come downhill since I've last been here. They certainly weren't very cheesy anymore. In fact, they were quite bland.

The salad bar is the first thing to be had at this all  you can eat establishment. Normally for dinner, there is sushi, seafood, salad, paella, and other goodies at the salad bar. At lunch, not so much.
In fact, they selection was quite boring so I just took a variety of greens instead along with some sauteed mushrooms, a little bit of pasta salad, and mixes olives.
As we sat and waited for the meat skewers to come around, they gave us the sides which we picked earlier. There was a variety of fried polenta fries, potato croquetts, broccoli, onion rings, fried plantains, and farofa (toasted flour mixture).
Some of the meats that came around were sirloin steak, roast pork, sausages, bacon wrapped chicken, flank steak, and chicken hearts. There are more options but I forget them right now. The meat is cooked mainly medium rare to medium. So if you like more well done cuts, you're mainly out of luck except for the pork and chicken.
At the end of the meal, you turn your place card to red to indicate that you're finished. They'll clean off your plates and roll the dessert cart over. I haven't had too much luck with the desserts here but opted for the chocolate mousse to share with Mr. M&P. Okay, this was not mousse. It was very thick and sweet. In fact, it reminded me of pudding instead. Yes, it was piped pudding.  A couple of spoons of this and I was done.
For about $40 per person for the prix fixe meal, it was just okay. I wasn't very satisfied with the meat that was offered and the salad bar was boring. Although the dinner is $60, I think it's a much better deal. The meat is cooked better and there is more variety. I've had salmon and roasted suckling pig before. Even the salad bar is better with shrimp cocktail, sushi, and fresh seafood. Overall, I would go back for dinner and skip the dessert.

Churrascaria Plataforma
316 West 49th Street
New York, NY 10019-7391
(212) 245-0505
churrascariaplataforma.com

5 comments:

  1. The Brazilian bread is worth a try!! All other dishes look scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MmmMmm unlimited meats. DROOLS.
    Too bad for the bread and salad bar.

    Ooo chocolate puddinggggg!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Churascaria rules! (For dinner)....lunch seems like a bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stinks that it was a let down for lunch. I've been for dinner and always leave beyond stuffed. I always decline the first couple meat options though, as I find the best meats come later!

    The bread looks like the bread I used to get in Brazil (not what I usually see in restaurants here). I know it as soft, puffy and doughy... not flaky. I find "bunuelos," which are usually breadier/flakier, so often be marketed as pao de queijo in the US. But then again, I also know that in different south american countries the breads names mean different things, so that's just my two cents! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. CT's a pro. And always go light on the salad bar and sides! The meat's the thing, and there's a few to skip prior to the "good stuff" -- much like dim sum.

    ReplyDelete