Sunday, November 20, 2011

Cooking: Boursin Tomato Pasta

I liked the pasta dish I made in Germany so much that I recreated it (with some tweaks) at home for some friends. First thing, more bacon! This is a whole pound of bacon that's been sliced. Render that fat in a cold pan.

Oh yeah, look at that bacon fry! Once the fat has been rendered the bacon is crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon onto a paper lined plate.
Next, add spicy Italian sausage to the pan. I removed the casings and broke the sausage up into pieces. Fry until each meatball sausage is browned and cooked through. Remove and drain on a plate lined with paper. At this point, you'll also want to remove most of the grease/fat at the bottom of the plate. Leave just a slick on the bottom.
While the pan is still hot, add the chopped onions and garlic.
Cook until soft and translucent. Add salt. The onion will release some moisture so that the opportunity to scrape up the brown bits from the bottom.
Then add the mushroom and continue to cook until the soften as well.
As that works, cook your pasta. I used campanelle this time. It's a flower shaped pasta which I just adore immensely! I also used a store bought jar of tomato sauce. Why? I didn't have any homemade on hand. Besides, I was planning on Sandra Lee-ing it.
When your mushrooms cook down a bit, add the tomato sauce to the pan. Cook until it starts simmering stirring occasionally. Then it's time to brighten up the sauce. I added a few leaves of fresh basil for a nice herbaceous flavor. Some hot pepper flakes would also go very well here too.
At this point, reintroduce the sausage balls and add the frozen peas. They'll only need to be warmed through.
Once the peas are warmed, take the pan off the heat and add the Boursin cheese. Unfortunately, I only had light cheese. Personally, I refrained from reduced far dairy.
The sauce should become really creamy and luxurious.
Drain the pasta when it's ready and toss it with the sauce immediately. Lastly, add the crispy bacon and mix well. This dish is best eaten right away so the bacon remains crispy.
I was pretty satisfied with this version of the pasta. I like the extra bacon and the addition of sausage was awesome. The only downfall was the Boursin Light cheese. Next time, I'll definitely need to hold out for the full fat version.

1 comment:

  1. I definitely gotta try this... it looks so good!! (And nothing wrong with doctoring up jarred sauce sometimes, we are busy peoples!)

    ReplyDelete