Thursday, December 1, 2011

EN Japanese Brasserie

My first experience at EN Japanese Brasserie was just wonderful. I was so impressed that I had to bring Mr. M&P there. I wanted to show him a different side of Japanese food. It's not always about the sushi and ramen. It's so much more. And it's absolutely delicious.

We decided to order a bunch of smaller dishes to share instead of individual entrees. We started with the edamame ($8). Okay so this can be found at pretty much any Japanese joint. But these are different. These young soy beans are soaked in dashi, a classic cooking stock. It's slightly fishy but not in an offensive way. It just so much umami flavor that I couldn't stop eating these. They also give a nice hefty bowl. We were still eating this as our next dishes came out.

The 9 pieces of assorted sashimi ($27) came quickly. It was presented beautifully and looked so incredibly fresh. It tasted even better. Soft, supple pieces of fresh and raw fish. I can't remember what the individual pieces were but I think they're tuna, mackerel, and yellowtail. Some pieces were more buttery while others tasted clean and briny of the ocean.
This seasonal dish of corn custard (~$12) was fantastic. It was smooth like silken tofu but tasted of corn. The purple flowers on top were just eye appealing. The charred pieces of corn on top added a nice slight difference in texture and flavor. I loved this dish.
And now the larger dishes started to come out. First the Age Dashi Tofu ($13). The lightly fried cubes of tofu sat in thicken dashi sauce and an array of mushrooms. This dish was really amazing. If you  have me this and a bowl of white rice, I would be a very happy person. The tofu was perfectly fried with a nice light crunchy crust. Inside, the tofu was soft and silky. The brown sauce added so much savory flavor to an otherwise naturally sweet tofu. So, so good.
We wanted some meat during our meal so we went a little adventurous and had the Kuroge Washugyu tongue yaki shabu ($19). These thinly sliced black angus tongue were raw and needed searing.
And that's what this hot stone is for. First take the piece of fat on the far left and rub it all around the hot stone. It'll sizzle on contact.
Then place the tongue on the stone. Keep an eye on it because you don't want it to overcook. I like my tongue just seared so it stays tender. It was definitely very flavorful and delicious.
What I also loved about this dish is the small accompanying fried vegetables. Great presentation and preparation. We received a turnip, 2 kinds of mushroom, and a shishito pepper. Just lovely.
And finally, we had the chicken tsukune ($12) which came out nicely charred but still juicy inside. On the side was a perfectly poached egg.
We took the sausages and dipped it into the broken egg yolk. It was so incredibly soft and silky. I wish I had some bread to dip into it. Just lovely.
Again, I was really impressed by the meal I had at EN Japanese Brasserie. Service, unfortunately, was a little off target but forgivable. I just really love this place and would absolutely go back without an issue. I really would love to try their kaiseki meal one day.

EN Japanese Brasserie
435 Hudson Street
New York, NY 10014
(212) 647-9196
enjb.com

6 comments:

  1. i went with CT a couple years ago and enjoyed it a lot.

    We saw Michael Stipe there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this place too! Went back again with a friend recently and it was great! (Plus she had groupon!) We/I WAY overordered, but didn't care. Chowed down on the edamame too, fresh tofu, miso cod, pork belly and salmon rice pot... all fantastic! Every single dish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This place has been on my list since forEVER. Yum! Your meal looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my favorite restaurant! My fiance proposed there! Next time you have to get the Stone Grilled Organic Chicken it is amazing and the Mochi Croquette

    ReplyDelete
  5. Next time, you HAVE to get the housemade tofu. So silky and smooth...like baby's buttock. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice meal. I want some fat-infused tongue. :P

    ReplyDelete