Monday, December 19, 2011

Red Hook Lobster Truck

We've had an unusually warm winter this year in NYC. Sure it's cold not but not too long ago we were enjoying fall like weather like light jackets and sweaters. On these days, it's nice to venture out and enjoy some of those "warm days food" like lobster rolls. Now, don't get me wrong but I can and will eat lobster in any season. In fact, I do it all the time. However, a lot of people do equate lobster rolls to summer.

Anyway, on this warm day, I saw the the Red Hook Lobster Pound was parked around my work area. I walked over during the peak lunch hour for some lobster deliciousness. The line was somewhat long but it moved very quickly. The good thing about lobster trucks is that the shellfish is most likely cooked ahead of time that day and assembled on board.

When I got to the front of the line, I knew I was in store for a Maine lobster roll $16). Most people were ordering the meal with a drink and chips ($19). When I received my order, I slowly walked back to my cubicle to unwrap my sweet crustacean laden sandwich.

I was very happy to see large cuts of lobster meat with minimal seasonings and mayo. The meat was succulent and very fresh. Each bite was deliciously naturally sweet and the spices worked well with it. Although I do enjoy my lobster cold and naked (no mayo), a bit of seasoning doesn't throw me off. I also really enjoyed the pickle on the side. The sour brininess was really nice.
On this particular day, they were also offering free Robicelli's whoopie pies. The flavor of the day was red velvet chocolate. I was happily surprised with this offer.
The whoopie pie was very large. I always though they were smaller in general. Though, I'm no whoopie pie expect by any means. Anyway, this hand sized dessert was soft, sweet, and yet tangy less so in the middle. The cream cheese creamy filling worked really nicely with the fluffy red velvet chocolate cake layers. It was a really well thought out dessert that I enjoyed very much. It's iced cake for the traveler. I love it!
I really enjoyed my lobster roll at the Red Hook Lobster Pound truck. It certainly satisfied me and my cravings. The Robicelli's whoopie pie was the cherry on top! I'd definitely would go back especially now that it's cold and they offer lobster mac n cheese.

The Red Hook Lobster Pound Truck
Various Locations
redhooklobsterpound.com

Robicelli's
robicellis.tumblr.com

3 comments:

  1. i like red hook lobster pound too. their shrimp roll is good. pretty much the same as Luke's.

    free whoopie pie? SCORE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks bigger than the one I got from them. I thought Luke's was considerably bigger than RHLP, but maybe they have upped their quantity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious lobster roll and free whoopie? That spells good business. :)

    ReplyDelete