Monday, January 2, 2012

Almond

A while ago, Fritos & Foie Gras (F&F), the Feisty Foodie (FF), and I went out to celebrate escargot and champagne. I haven't had a lot of escargot in my lifetime and wanted a couple of pros to lead me in. So we went to Almond which the Feisty Foodie has enjoyed before.

We met on a cool night and were quickly sat at a table in the back. We ordered a rose champagne which was poured quickly into our glassed. The flavor was sweeter than normal. A little too sweet for me but still drinkable.

And then the food came out. F&F and I shared a plate of the escargot ($11.50) to start while the FF received her own plate as her entree.

Each snail was plump and juicy. The garlic laden piece of meat was nicely coated with bread crumbs. A squeeze of lemon really brightened it up. This was delicious and I would order it again.

For my entree, I ordered the Warm Duck Confit Salad ($12.75) which came with frisee, acorn squash, duck confit, and a poached egg. The runny yolk of the egg ran nicely over the fresh greens while the duck was fatty and tender. Overall, it was okay for me.
For her entree, F&F had the warm octopus and purple potatoes salad ($12.25). She thought this was just okay as well. It satisfied her but it certainly didn't amaze her.
Overall we thought Almond was just fine. The food was okay and satisfied us just fine. Nothing amazing but not bad either. We would go back. FF did say there is some delicious duck prosciutto to be had there.

Almond
12 East 22nd Street
New York, NY 10010-6111
(212) 228-7557
almondnyc.com

4 comments:

  1. Haha, I never noticed she's F&F and I'm FF! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha me either! Pizza date soon, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. we went to Almond a couple weeks ago for a friend's bday dinner. pastas looked great but had ZERO flavor. they didn't even boil the pasta in salted water. such a disappointment.

    also turns out that Ty-lor from Top Chef is the chef de cuisine at the Hamptons location, not Manhattan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The duck confit salad and snails do sound promising.

    ReplyDelete