Saturday, January 28, 2012

Cooking: Meatballs

Oh meatballs. You are so delicious. And yet there are so many ways to make you. And so many ways to eat you. I'm still trying to perfect my meatball. I haven't made one that I loved yet. Sure they care good but I want them to be amazing. So here I went to make another batch of meatballs using some different ingredients.

I started with the ground beef. I know some people mix in pork and/or veal. I've done so in the past too. But I went with straight beef this time. I don't like to use very lean beef in my meatballs. They become too stiff. To the ground beef, I added salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.

I also added fresh ricotta cheese, parsely, scallions, bread crumbs,and grated pecorino cheese.
I mixed everything up together evenly using my hands. I truly believe this is a dirty hand job. Roll up your sleeves and get working.
Then form them into balls and line on an oil baking sheet. Bake in the oven at 350oF until browned, about 30-60 minutes depending on the size of your meatballs.
Here's a better look at them. I rolled them evenly in my palms until uniform and tight.
And here they are all done. Some of the cheese oozed out which was expected. It wasn't wasted though. I had a good time nibbling on the cheese.
So how did the meatballs come out? Just okay. They seemed slightly dried out which was a bummer. But this experiment has totally justified my desire to pan fry the meatballs in the future. I used to pan fry them then cook in a pot of marinara sauce. But I wanted to switch things up a bit and try baking. Besides, baking it so much easier. But the result may not be tastier. Oh well, I threw the meatballs with some pasta and sauce and it was good to go.

3 comments:

  1. I braise mine - which is why I rarely make them, because I can't make them without making a giant pot of sauce to go with it. Old school Italian; exBF's dad taught me his sauce recipe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meatbbaaaallzzzaaa.
    I feel like a meatball parm sandwich for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good! I could also totally go for a meatball sub now!

    ReplyDelete