Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Tuesday Nights: The Blind Pig

Towards the end of the last year, my friends thought that we weren't hanging out enough. It's true, we weren't. So they started Tuesday night get-togethers. Every Tuesday, we'll pick a bar to drink, eat, and hang out for a couple of hours. Whoever can make it will attend. If you're busy, it's okay. There's always next week. So this is Tuesday Nights on Tasty Eating where you will find bars that serve food and how we like them.

On this recent Tuesday Night, we headed out to: The Blind Pig
 Ah, we're trying out new places. Yes! This time, we're in Chelsea at a bar named after an era of prohibition. "Blind Pig" used to be the term used for establishments that sold or served alcohol during the Prohibition Era. However, this modern bar isn't a speakeasy all. There's no hidden doorway or secret password. They don't think they're holier than thou.

Anyway, they serve a more interesting variety of draft beer then your normal pub in NYC. But it's in no means impressive. They do have a lot of different bottles that would make a lot of people happy.

An now onto the food. Unfortunately, I arrived late that day and my friends had already housed down the Chili Cheese Fries ($10) and the Smokey Artichoke Dip ($10). The fries were done when I arrived by the dip was still there. Not that it was bad but because they ran out of tortilla chips. I went and tasted it with my fork and thought it to be just okay. The cheese smothered any artichoke flavor there might have been. So if you like cheese, you'll like this appetizer.

 After I arrived, we ordered more food. First up, some Boneless Where the Buffalo Roam Wings ($8 for 1lb). Not bad though I prefer bone-in wings. The pieces of chicken were definitely white meat that was fried then sauced. The spice level was mild and didn't need the blue cheese at all.
 I ordered a plate of Pulled Pork Nachos ($11) which came with BBQ pork shoulder, nacho cheese, cheddar, jalapeno, and sour cream. Eh, this version of nachos wasn't very impressive. They didn't spread the ingredients out and the serving size was very small for the price. I don't think I would get this again.
 And lastly, I ordered the Fried Pickles ($7). I enjoyed them at Southern Hospitality and wanted to try it again. They were completely different here. Long spears were battered and fried then served with sriracha mayo. The fried pickled weren't that great. It didn't have the balance that I was seeking. However, the sriracha mayo really made it much better.
Overall, I enjoyed the Blind Pig. Not for its food but for the atmosphere. The waitress was friendly and attentive and they have happy hour until 8pm (only on drinks). They also do trivia night on Tuesdays but we didn't stay for that. I wish we had because we were killing it with the answers.

The Blind Pig
233 East 14th Street
New York, NY 10003-4113
(212) 209-1573
blindpigbar.com

1 comment:

  1. Boo to the puny plate of nachos.
    And wings with bones definitely. I can't wait to munch down some this Sunday. Go NY!

    ReplyDelete