Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Lunch Week 18: Indian Egg Salad Sandwich

So every Sunday, I head over to the kitchen to whip up a big batch of food for lunch next week. Yes, I brown bag. And I almost always do it, unless I become too busy to even buy cold cuts from the deli. I do it for several reasons being health, finance, and laziness. Now, you may think that spending hours on a day off to prep and cook five meals at once is hardly lazy. But let me remind you, I hate it when the time comes to decide what to eat for lunch every day. I work in Midtown so the choices are endless. My problem, the more choices, the harder it is for me. So it's much easier for me to have my lunch ready and already decided.

So my lunch for the week: Indian Egg Salad Sandwich
What do I do when there's an abundance of eggs in my refrigerator that are soon to spoil? Make egg salad! But not any old egg salad. Nope, I added a jar of Indian sauce (thanks to the Feisty Foodie) for extra flavor and roasted some cauliflower for texture.

The sauce, Jalfrezi, is a simmering sauce. Heat it up and add any meats and vegetables if desired. I heated it up and reduced it until thick, almost paste like. I put it in a low rimmed pan to take advantage of more surface area and let it bubble over medium heat. High heat may result in burning.
Cooks tip: Afraid of your small apartment smelling like Indian food after cooking it? No problem! Boil some white vinegar after your meal and walk around your home with pot in hand while it's still hot. The vinegar neutralized the strong smells. You'll have a lingering vinegar smell for just a few minutes.
While the sauce reduced, I hard boiled the eggs. In a pot, I added cold water and the eggs. Then I brought it to a boil and let it continue boiling for 5 minutes. Then I continuously rinsed the eggs under cold water until cooled, about 10 minutes.
Then I peeled the eggs and chopped it into smaller pieces. I prefer chunky egg salad but chop it into the size that you want.

Cook's tip: For easy peeling, use old eggs.
While the eggs cooled, I chopped up some cauliflower into small pieces and tossed them with vegetable oil, salt, and pepper. Into a preheated oven at 375oF for about 15-30 minutes depending on the size of your florets.
They come out nicely caramelized and the flavor completely changed. This is basically the only way I could tolerate cauliflower. Well, maybe as a gratin too.
Once the eggs are chopped, add the reduced Indian sauce and mix well. Add mayo if you prefer to thicken up the sauce even more. If you're watching your weight, add low fat/no fat plain yogurt instead. Thicken the yogurt even more by draining it. To the egg mixture, I also added chopped scallions and roasted red peppers as well. No reason why I picked these vegetables. I just had extra and wanted to use it up. You may add anything you may please like onion, cooked potatoes, cilantro, etc.
Mix well and add cooled cauliflower as well. Chill overnight.
On toasted bread, scoop a nice layer of the Indian egg salad. Add spring mix too. Then sandwich with the other bread and there you go.
Surprisingly, this sandwich didn't have enough flavor. I wanted more Indian spices to be present. I wonder if it's due to the pre-made sauce. I also could have added curry powder to the cauliflower before roasting. However, that would definitely make my apartment smell like Indian food for awhile. I'm not sure if boiled vinegar would be enough for that.

As for the texture, the egg whites were smooth and slippery. No rubbery egg whites for me! And the cauliflower, scallions, and roasted red peppers gave me something harder to chew on. The spring mix was delightful and fresh. The toasted bread was key to keep the sandwich in tact. No one likes soggy bread.

3 comments:

  1. Try adding the sweet and spicy tabasco sauce next time - I think it goes amazingly well with Indian flavors. I LOVE this idea and must try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! Curry egg salads. I almost want to see this wrapped over roti.

    Cauliflower au gratin is win. Mmm Gruyere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks really good! I totally forgot about that sauce, but glad you could use it. Thanks to Seeds of Change for giving it to me, boo for my coconut allergy. But hmm, maybe you can add curry powder directly to the egg salad next time? I've done that before though I don't like what brand I used because it was too pungent.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.