Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Tuesday Night: One Mile House

Towards the end of one year, my friends thought that we weren't hanging out enough. It's true, we weren't. So they started Tuesday night get-togethers. Every Tuesday, we'll pick a bar to drink, eat, and hang out for a couple of hours. Whoever can make it will attend. If you're busy, it's okay. There's always next week. So this is Tuesday Nights on Tasty Eating where you will find bars that serve food and how we like them.

On this recent Tuesday Night, we headed out to: One Mile House
I'm not entirely sure how I came across this place. I was probably reading about it online or in one of the magazines that I subscribe to. However, I knew I wanted to come here because the menu looked awesome and completely different. Their play on some classic comfort food peaked my interest enough to try.
First up, the drinks. While I mostly get beer on Tuesday Nights, I classed it up this week with an order of the Giggle Juice ($12). This cocktail contained Stolichnaya vodka, St. Germain Elderflower liquor, pear puree, pineapple juice, and fresh lemon juice. It was strong but also very refreshing. I mostly liked that it wasn't overly sweet which is a nod to their use of fresh fruits and juices.
And now the plethora of foods. Here is an order of Pierogies ($12) made with short rib stroganoff with a side of porcini sour cream.  At 4 to one order, these seemed overpriced but they were delicious. Nicely fried and stuffed with savory, juicy meat inside. However, I wouldn't have known if they used short rib or chuck inside since it was minced. The fat content would have been different but that could easily be added. These pierogies aren't must haves but I didn't mind getting them.
The Matzo Balls ($11) with bacon, cheddar, and horseraddish is a kosher man's nightmare. But this was all sorts of awesome. Large baseball sized matzo balls were wrapped in bacon and dotted with cheddar. The matzo balls were a little dense but I didn't mind it because it held up very well. These were easily split among the 6 of us.
The Croquettes ($9) were really good. Why? Well, they had chorizo, manchengo cheese, and chives. A beautifully crisp crust gave way to a soft and whipped potato inside with flavors of smoked meat and funky cheese.
The Oyster Sliders ($10) were good as well. The freshly fried large oysters were briny and creamy. The crust was crunchy and the accompanying orange fennel slaw was refreshing. The lemon poppy seed aioli seemed to get lost though.
Mr. Matzo Ball wanted to err on the healthy side and he doesn't like cheese. So he had the Falafel Burger ($9) with a side salad. The burger comes with harissa hummus and tzatziki sauce on a whole wheat bun. I didn't try this but he seemed very pleased. The serving size was large and yet he was able to finish everything. This seemed to be a very good value.
We also wanted to try out one of their bar pies. This one came with Boursin cheese, mashed potatoes, crispy shallots, and bacon ($11). It reminded me of Germany's flammkuchen or France's tarte flambee. This version was just okay. They weren't stingy with the toppings at all but I thought the flavor could have been better. Each of the ingredients were strong but all together, it just didn't work out. Honestly, I would have preferred one of the other bar pies which seem more traditional in terms of pizza toppings.
At the end of the night, the pork rinds ($4) didn't come out yet. I always have to get pork rinds if I see on a menu. The waitress apologized and put the order in right away. Then we realized if we had ordered it at all? Oops! In any case, we asked for it and it came out very quickly as the waitress promised. And these didn't disappoint. Super crunchy with a slight pork flavor. They didn't have the salt and vinegar taste as advertised on the menu but I didn't care. I love pork rinds for their natural salty, porky taste.
I really enjoyed One Mile House. The drinks were strong but well balanced. The food came quickly and tasted delicious. And the service was attentive and friendly. I also liked the vibe of the place. The crowd was young but not pretentious. I would go back.

One Mile House
10 Delancey Street
New York, NY 10002
(646) 559-0702
onemilehousenyc.com

8 comments:

  1. quite an elevated bar food menu.

    glad to see that bacon wrapped matzo balls made their way to NYC via LA. Ilan from Top Chef was the first chef to do that at his restaurant in LA.

    falafel is healthy? SWEET!!

    prices look pretty reasonable too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Falafel is some what healthier than what we were eating.

      Delete
  2. I laughed at the matzo ball bacon combo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Cheese: Matzo ball, bacon, AND cheese.

      Delete
    2. Cheese isn't against Jewish dietary restrictions though.

      Delete
    3. Meat and dairy together is.

      Delete
  3. Matzo baseballs for all. Nice selection of bar foods.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds really cool! Giggle Juice, huh? Nice.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.