Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Tuesday Nights: Professor Thom's

Towards the end of  one year, my friends thought that we weren't hanging out enough. It's true, we weren't. So they started Tuesday night get-togethers. Every Tuesday, we'll pick a bar to drink, eat, and hang out for a couple of hours. Whoever can make it will attend. If you're busy, it's okay. There's always next week. So this is Tuesday Nights on Tasty Eating where you will find bars that serve food and how we like them.

On this recent Tuesday Night, we headed out to: Professor Thom's
Professor Thom's is a dive bar mainly hosting to college students. NYU is nearby. Normally, I avoid these types of places (I'm old now) but I couldn't help but be drawn to a pizza sized nachos platter. Oh yes, my friends. A plate of nachos made on a pizza tray.

Oh I wasn't kidding around. Look at those nachos. I tried to use a ketchup bottle as reference but it doesn't do it justice but the name does. The XL nachos and just at $18. As for the taste, meh. They really just threw it together without minding how to spread out the toppings evenly. As you may suspect, the bottom chips were just chips. No cheese. No toppings. Nothing. I wouldn't get this again since it was just a novelty. The toppings tasted straight from a jar/can which I don't mind sometimes. It was really the uneven distribution and lack of cheese that did it in.
The Loaded Tots ($7) were better. Crispy nuggets of large potato pieces covered in cheese, bacon, scallions, and sour cream. The serving size was huge too making it perfect to share.
The dozen of PT Chicken Wings ($10) were ordered mild but was hardly spicy. The wings weren't meaty and was just lackluster all around. I wouldn't order these again.
The Batter Onion Rings ($6) tasted as they looked, from the freezer bag. The menu says they're fresh cut vidalia onions with a beer batter but they were too uniform to be freshly made. They were freshly fried, I'll give them that. Otherwise, skip.
As suspected, Professor Thom's was just a novelty. I only suggested it for the XL Nachos which turned out to be meh anyway. I wouldn't choose to come back here. However, if I were a poor college student and didn't care much about what I ate, this place would be perfect. Cheap, large quantities of fried foods usually trump flavor and quality when it comes to the wallet of a student.

Professor Thom's
219 2nd Avenue
New York, NY 10003
(212) 260-9480
professorthoms.com

3 comments:

  1. it is also a Red Sox bar, booo!

    i would never think to eat there unless i was wasted.

    tots look like the best of the bunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't go in there, wasted or not. Terrible crowd, almost entirely due to the Boston chip on its collective shoulder.

      Delete
  2. Red sucks bar with otay food?
    I rather go to Phebes for nachos. Theirs have yet to disappoint.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.