Friday, September 7, 2012

Ess-A-Bagel

People say New York City has the best bagels. I can agree with that to a point. Sure we have some really awesome bagels but they're not available all over. In fact, I think you have to travel to a specific place just for some good quality bagels. You won't find those fine, chewy, and dense bread just anywhere. And this is why I finally made my trip to the far East side one early morning in search of a fantastic bagel. I went to Ess-A-Bagel.

The first thing I noticed were the long lines. That usually means that the place is good. This is especially true on a Saturday morning. Saturday night? Not so much. Stupid trends. Anyway, back to bagels. The line was long but it went quickly. The workers were fast and efficient. It seemed that only the customers slowed them down. As I waited, I studied the menu. By the time I reached the counter, I knew exactly what I wanted: plain bagel with lox, onions, and cream cheese please (~$12).
This sandwich was pricey but lox is not cheap. In fact, very good lox is not affordable. It's a splurge. It's well worth the money though. And this version was excellent. The cured salmon was buttery and rich while the raw onions cut through it with its natural spiciness. The bread was dense and chewy but soft enough to bite through. The cream cheese wasn't overbearing and they put the correct amount. I really dislike it when places add too much cream cheese. It's about the bagel so please don't cover it up with loads of dairy. This, however, was a good balance.
I was really happy with my bagel from Ess-A-Bagel. The bread was exactly what I wanted and expected while the lox was a luxurious addition. I'd like to go back and try something simpler but in the meantime, I'll keep reminiscing about my delicious lox sandwich.

Ess-A-Bagel
831 3rd Avenue
New York, NY 10022
(212) 980-1010
ess-a-bagel.com‎

1 comment:

  1. I just had a fantastic but pricey similar sandwich at Russ & Daughters. So good.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.