Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Lunch Week 20: Grilled Chicken with Potato Salad and Corn

So every Sunday, I head over to the kitchen to whip up a big batch of food for lunch the next week. Yes, I brown bag. And I almost always do it every week unless I become too busy to even buy cold cuts from the deli. I do it for several reasons being health, finance, and laziness. Now, you may think that spending hours on a day off to prep and cook five meals at once is hardly lazy. But let me remind you, I hate it when the time comes to decide what to eat for lunch every day. I work in Midtown so the choices are endless. My problem, the more choices, the harder it is for me. So it's much easier for me to have my lunch ready and already decided.

So my lunch for the week: Grilled Chicken with Potato Salad and Corn
This past weekend, I was in NJ again and took advantage of the grill on the deck. As the end of summer came and gone with some storms and tornadoes, I bid the warm weather a last adieu with some grilled chicken, potato salad, and corn on the cob.
I marinated the chicken in some barbecue sauce. This 18 oz bottle was good enough for 20 pieces of chicken (drumsticks and thighs). I also splashed in some worcestershire sauce for good measure. I only had a few hours to marinate it but normally I would leave it overnight in the fridge to absorb the utmost flavor.
Then onto the grill on low direct heat for 30 minutes on each side. Flip in between. This is an easy method to cook a lot of chicken at once. Otherwise, you may grill it on medium to medium-low indirect heat for about 15 minutes each side. If you don't have access to a grill, you may bake the chicken in an oven set at 350oF for about 30-45 minutes until cooked through.
For my potato salad, I boiled up some yukon gold spuds. I placed the cubed potato pieces in cold salted water and waited for it to come to a rolling boil. Then I continued to boil it for about 10-15 minutes until soft and a fork goes through easily and cleanly. Start testing the potatoes after 10 minutes. I don't like overcooked potatoes as much as undercooked potatoes.

While the potatoes cooked, I finely diced some bell peppers. I'm a fan of the red, orange, and yellow peppers. Green, not so much. When the potatoes are done, I drained them and then immediately tossed them with the extra green goddess dressing I had on hand. The potatoes really absorb the herbaceous flavor of the dressing when they're hot. Toss well and let cool.
The corn was just boiled lightly for about 10 minutes. I don't enjoy overcooked corn. In fact, I'll eat it slightly undercooked as I think the natural sugars taste best that way.

This lunch was fairly easy to make. You can make the potato salad and corn while the chicken cooks. So really only 30-60 minutes of cooking time for a week's worth of meals.

Grilled Chicken with Barbecue Sauce
Makes 10 Servings

Ingredients
10 bone-in, skin on chicken drumsticks
10 bone-in, skin on chicken thighs
18oz bottle barbecue sauce
1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp salt

Directions
1. Marinate chicken with both sauces and salt. Leave covered and refrigerated overnight. 
Remove chicken from refrigerator for about 1 hour before cooking. 
2. Heat grill on low with all burners on.
3. Oil/grease grill grates then place chicken skin side down on grill. Cover and let cook for 30 minutes.
4. Flip chicken pieces and let cook for another 20-30 minutes until internal temperature reaches 165oF with an instant thermometer. Remove from grill and let rest 10 minutes.


Potato Salad with Green Goddess Dressing
Makes 10-15 servings

Ingredients
5 lbs of yukon gold potatoes
3 Tbsp salt
2 cups Green Goddess Dressing (recipe below)
3 bell peppers (red, orange, yellow)

Directions
1. Wash and cube potatoes. Place into large pot. Add enough cold water to just cover the potato pieces. Season with salt. Place on stove on high until water boils. Let the water continue to boil for 10 minutes. Test tenderness of potatoes with a fork. Stab a larger piece with a fork and if goes through easily, then it's done.
2. Immediate drain the potatoes and toss with Green Goddess Dressing. Let cool.
3. Deseed bell peppers and chop into small dice. Add to potato salad.

*Cook's Note: This is the kind of recipe that gets better if refrigerated overnight. So this may be done ahead of time.

Green Goddess Dressing
Recipe courtesy of Bon Appetit
Makes 2 cups dressing

Ingredients
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
1 anchovy fillet, chopped

Directions
Blend all ingredients in processor until smooth, occasionally scraping down sides of bowl. Season dressing with salt and pepper. Transfer to small bowl. Cover; chill. DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep chilled.

1 comment:

  1. I like eating corn raw... I would have put it in the potato salad since I don't like eating corn on the cob in public all that much. Your lunch looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.