Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Lunch Week 21: Italian Sausage Sandwich with Peppers and Onions

So every Sunday, I head over to the kitchen to whip up a big batch of food for lunch the next week. Yes, I brown bag. And I almost always do it every week unless I become too busy to even buy cold cuts from the deli. I do it for several reasons being health, finance, and laziness. Now, you may think that spending hours on a day off to prep and cook five meals at once is hardly lazy. But let me remind you, I hate it when the time comes to decide what to eat for lunch every day. I work in Midtown so the choices are endless. My problem, the more choices, the harder it is for me. So it's much easier for me to have my lunch ready and already decided.

So my lunch for the week: Italian Sausage Sandwich with Peppers and Onions
A simple lunch this week channeling the San Gennaro Fair with its Italian American food. My favorite is definitely the sausage sandwich with peppers and onions. It's fairly easy to make at home but never gets the nice snap of the skin that a griddle top may provide. Well unless you have your own griddle at home.
I started the dish with some spicy Italian sausages purchased from Esposito's Pork Store.
I fried them up in some oil until browned on all sides making the skin nice and crispy. The sausages will release some of its oils and juices into the pan. Remove and place into pan when all sides are browned.
 In the same pan, add thinly sliced onions and chopped garlic.
Cook until softened and golden brown. Don't forget to season with salt and pepper. Remove and add to pan with sausages.
Add a bit more oil then sliced bell peppers to pan. I like a combination of yellow, orange, and red bell peppers. You may add green ones if you like but I prefer the others.
 Saute the peppers until soft. Then add to the pan with sausages and onions.
Mix well and place into oven at 375oF. I covered it with aluminum foil at first but the juices overflowed and made quite a smoky mess in my oven. Next time, I'll use a higher sided pan. Cover for 15 minutes. Then uncover and continue baking for another 15  minutes. You may even want to broil the top for a few minutes for some char.
 All the flavors should be nice and melded together after being in the oven.
To assemble the sandwich, I toasted the bread then added a layer of the onions and peppers. Lastly the sausage went on top. The best way to reheat this would be with a toaster oven. However, I don't have that kind of luxury at work. So only the microwave for me. The bread becomes quite soft and gummy which led me to eat it with a fork and knife. The toasting helps slightly but I really wish a toaster oven was present.

2 comments:

  1. Really simple yet so delicious! Bet it didn't take long to make either. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet or hot, I enjoy italian sausage sandwiches!! I could probably eat this every workday for a week.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.