Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Lunch Week 23: Turkey Meatloaf Sandwiches

So every Sunday, I head over to the kitchen to whip up a big batch of food for lunch the next week. Yes, I brown bag. And I almost always do it every week unless I become too busy to even buy cold cuts from the deli. I do it for several reasons being health, finance, and laziness. Now, you may think that spending hours on a day off to prep and cook five meals at once is hardly lazy. But let me remind you, I hate it when the time comes to decide what to eat for lunch every day. I work in Midtown so the choices are endless. My problem, the more choices, the harder it is for me. So it's much easier for me to have my lunch ready and already decided.

So my lunch for the week: Turkey Meatloaf Sandwiches
 Meatloaf gets a really bad rap sometimes. Sure it can be dry, tasteless, and gross. That means you're doing it wrong. It's really easy to make flavorful, moist, and delicious meatloaf. I've been making it for some time now. In fact, I make my own with ground turkey and it still remains moist and full of flavor in each and every bite. Oh and did I mention that it has very little fat but contains a vast variety of nutrients? Yeah, it's healthy, yet tasty meatloaf. Go figure.

I start by chopping up a bunch of vegetables. I like to use onions, garlic, red bell peppers, broccoli, and carrots (which I grated instead of chopped).
Make sure to chop these up finely as they will be mixed into the meat.
Saute the vegetables until soften. Season with salt and pepper. After it is cooked, let cool until ready to handle with bare hands.

Take the ground turkey and season generously with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and dry mustard powder. Add chopped raw red onion, and minced parsley. Mix well with hands. Also add bread crumbs and eggs for binding. The former helps the texture and the eggs brings everything together.
Lastly, add the cooked vegetables and mix well. I find it's easiest to use my hands here.

Then take a sided sheet pan and pour some vegetable oil on bottom. Add meat mixture and form a long, flat loaf similar to a plateau. Then pop it into a preheated oven at 375oF for about 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes, cover the outside generously with ketchup and place back into oven for another 15 minutes. Let cool completely before slicing.
For my lunch, I packaged the sliced meatloaf and bread with greens separately. The meatloaf needed to be heated up but the bread did not.
The result is something quite delicious. The meatloaf is soft from the bread crumbs but holds together because of the meat. The seasonings really add a lot of flavor but the vegetables are the key. They add so much moisture and flavor to the whole thing. And they provide a contrast in texture so not everything is soft mush. Lastly, the ketchup crust gives everything a sweet tang.

I really like this recipe and it's an easy way to get my vegetables in without feeling like I'm just eating a lot of vegetables like a salad or something boring like that.

Turkey Meatloaf Sandwiches
Makes 8 Servings

Ingredients
2 lbs ground turkey
3 tbsp garlic powder
3 tbsp onion powder
3 tbsp paprika
2 tbsp dry mustard powder
2 large eggs
1 cup bread crumbs
1 medium red onion, minced
1 bunch flat leaf parsley, minced
2 large yellow onions, minced
1 garlic bulb, minced
2 large carrots, grated
2 red bell peppers, minced
1 head of broccoli, minced
1-1.5 cups ketchup
Salt
Pepper
Olive oil
Sliced bread
Salad greens
Mayonnaise

Directions
Preheat oven to 375oF
1. Season ground turkey with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, mustard powder, eggs, and bread crumbs. Mix well. Add red onion and parsley.
2. Add oil to pan on medium heat and cook yellow onion and garlic until soften slightly, about 5 minutes. Add grated carrots and continue cooking until tender, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and let cool.
3. Add more oil to pan and cook red bell peppers and broccoli until tender, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove and let cool.
4. Combine cooled, cooked vegetables to meat and mix well using hands.
5. Oil a sheet pan and added meat mixture. Form into a flat, wide rectangle. Bake in preheated oven for about 30 minutes. Remove and add ketchup to top and sides. Place back into oven for another 15 minutes until ketchup forms a crust. Remove and let cool completely before slicing.
6. Toast bread and spread mayonnaise on one side. Add salad greens. Place sliced meatloaf on top. Slice in half and serve.

2 comments:

  1. I like adding brown sugar to the outside ketchup glaze. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your turkey meatloaf recipe. It's become a standard in my rotation!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.