Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Lunch Week 25: Fried Squash Sandwiches

So every Sunday, I head over to the kitchen to whip up a big batch of food for lunch the next week. Yes, I brown bag. And I almost always do it every week unless I become too busy to even buy cold cuts from the deli. I do it for several reasons being health, finance, and laziness. Now, you may think that spending hours on a day off to prep and cook five meals at once is hardly lazy. But let me remind you, I hate it when the time comes to decide what to eat for lunch every day. I work in Midtown so the choices are endless. My problem, the more choices, the harder it is for me. So it's much easier for me to have my lunch ready and already decided.

So my lunch for the week: Fried Squash Sandwiches
This week's lunch is super easy in my effort to use up some of the food in my freezer and pantry. This vegetarian sandwich is hearty enough for the meat lover, healthy enough for the vegetarian, and enough to satisfy anyone.
Layering is key to this sandwich. I use a sesame French loaf bread with a nice seeded crunchy crust and a very soft inside. A layer of Boursin cheese on one side for flavor and creaminess then a layer of spring mix on top. The cheese helps hold it in place. Next, a layer of fried squash like eggplant, zucchini, and/or yellow squash. I had plenty of leftover fried squash that I had frozen from making my three squash parmigiana. A layer of fried egg goes on top of that. Normally, I would love a runny yolk but this sandwich was being made ahead of time and a fully cooked fried egg works better in this environment. Lastly, a layer of mayonnaise on the other slice of bread to keep the top from being soggy and it also helps keep the egg in place.
All these ingredients together are awesome. The crispy fried squash with the garlicky and creamy Boursin cheese, the meatiness of the egg, the fresh bitterness of the salad, and the chewy bread with a crunchy and nutty crust. So satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.