Thursday, October 18, 2012

My Trip to Sydney, Australia (Day 10): 4 Pines

On this day, I crossed off another thing off my 'To Do Before I Die' List. Well kind of. I swam with sharks. I wanted to (and still do) swim with great whites...well in a cage of course. But apparently, I went to Australia during the wrong season and on the wrong side of the continent. Instead, I substituted my shark dive dream with grey nurse sharks in an aquarium. No cage though. I live for danger! Oh yeah!

After meeting face to face with snarl toothed predators, I was hungry myself. Instead of hopping back onto the ferry, we decided to stay in Manly. I found this brewery, 4 Pines, that received good reviews and so we stopped in for lunch.

They brew their own beers on premise and have a large window so that you can see the process.
The place was pretty empty on this weekday but that's expected. It didn't effect the quality of the food nor service one bit. We ordered from the counter then sat outside and enjoyed the wonderful weather. Our drinks came first. I had the cider ($3) which was really crisp and refreshing. No cloying sweetness. It reminded me of a fuji apple.
Mr. M&P had the hefeweizen which came free with his burger lunch special.
And here is his Mega Burger ($28 with free beer). You can't tell from the picture but it was pretty big. It contained 2 beef patties, bacon, cheese, caramelized onions, arugula, and a soft bun. Oh and don't forget about the side of steak fries which seemed slightly battered and deep fried. These were extremely crispy with a pillow soft center and a nice amount of salt on the outside. I would know because I picked at these liberally. Ha!
And here's a cross section of his burger. Cooked to his desired medium rare with lots of pink and red in the middle. Layering was perfect with the meat to topppings to bread ratio. I took a bite to taste and enjoyed it very much. The beef patties had a variety of spices similar to ones one would find in Indian cuisine. It added a lot of flavor. Sure the purist in me is cringing but it did taste good.
I had the fish of the day: grilled atlantic salmon with bok choy and mashed potatoes served with a coconut cream sauce ($28). This was definitely a dinner sized serving but luckily most of the components were light. The salmon was cooked expertly with the skin super crispy and the meat so tender. I wish it was undercooked slightly as I enjoy a rare fish but there was no option to do so. Luckily, the chef cooked it so well that the inside was juicy and tender throughout. The bok choy was lightly cooked and purposely left crunchy which paired well with the soft pillowy mashed potatoes. They made a conscious effort to season the potatoes which I noticed immediately. The pineapple coconut cream sauce was surprisingly light. Fresh sweet chunks of pineapple added the acidity this dish needed which the coconut smoothed it out. It was the perfect balance and didn't overwhelm any element of the dish.
I really enjoyed 4 Pines and happy that I discovered it randomly while reading some blogs. It's hidden from plain street view but if you just look for it, you'll be happy that you did.

4 Pines Beer
29/43-45 East Esplanade
Manly NSW 2095
Australia
(02)9976 2300
4pinesbeer.com.au

1 comment:

  1. I am from the U.S., and I bought tickets to the Australian Open through Travels with Soha for my husband's birthday. I've never left the U.S., so I am both anxious and excited. I can't wait to try all of the different things, and this post has me ready to gorge on what looks like amazing Australian cuisine. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.