Thursday, December 6, 2012

Don Antonio by Starita

I'm not entirely satisfied with the pizza options in my neighborhood. I haven't really found a place as my go to. I guess I'm just picky. Or maybe I'm expecting too much. Whatever the case may be, I'm always up for trying some place new. I've heard a lot about Don Antonio by Starita recently. This unsuspecting place in Hell's Kitchen but close to Times Square got rave reviews about its crust and simple toppings. It was heralded as one of the better neapolitan pizza pies in NYC which is of no surprise with Roberto Caporuscio from Kesté Pizza & Vino and his mentor Antonio Starita of Naples at the helm. With this star studded cast, a visit was warranted.



We went early on a Friday night and was surprised to see that the place was so crowded already. It was a mix of natives and tourists. Some even Italian. We looked over the menu and was very curious about the fried pizza. But for our first visit, we decided to keep it simple. We each ordered a regular pie. I picked the Pizza Bianche with Prosciutto e Arugula ($17). The crust was soft and had a nice chewiness to it. It was a little too soft to my liking. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be like that as I am not familiar with authentic neapolitan pizza. But I'm more of a crispy crust person. Maybe the fried pizza dough would have been better to my liking. Anyway, the toppings were good though. The arugula was fresh and wilted slightly with the heat of the crust. The pecorino romano was sharp and added a nice pungent tang to the pie while the prosciutto was salty and meaty. I thought the meat was sliced a little too thick because I couldn't bite through it with the rest of the ingredients. Otherwise, the pizza pie was good and I enjoyed it.
Mr. M&P had the Pizza Rosse Margarita with Sausage and Mushrooms ($17). Again, the crust was soft and chewy. The sauce was tangy and the cheese creamy and melted. We wish the sausage and mushrooms were more plentiful but the flavors were nice with the meatiness and earthiness.
Overall, we enjoyed the pizza at Don Antonio but we didn't love it. I guess we're not the neapolitan pizza type of people. We enjoy the gargantuan pies found in Italian American neighborhoods of Brooklyn with its crunchy thin crusts and abundance of toppings. With that said, I'm willing to go back for some fried pizza. That just sounds too good not to try. For those of you that do like neapolitan pizza, Don Antonio is worth the visit.

Don Antonio by Starita
309 West 50th Street
New York, NY 10019
(646) 719-1043
donantoniopizza.com

1 comment:

  1. We went over the summer. Our first time trying "fried" pizza. Good, but probably will just get a regular pie next time.

    The calzones they have at lunch were great. I really liked the sausage, broccoli rabe and cheese.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.