Monday, December 10, 2012

The National

I was recently invited to a birthday brunch at The National. I haven't heard much of the place but knew of Chef Geoffry Zakarian. When I arrived to the restaurant, the space was vast and modern. The feel was warm and inviting. I loved the large windows and natural sunlight beaming in.

We were a large group and sat towards the back. My friends ordered a variety of dishes including pork belly benedict, buttermilk pancakes, beef hash, etc. I wanted something on the lighter side and opted for the Salmon Salad ($18) which came with poached salmon, shaved fennel, fine herbs, arugula, and dressed in a lemon vinaigrette.
The salad was a good portion and left me full. The salmon was tender and flavorful. The greens were slightly bitter , as expected, but the lemon dressing balanced it out. I enjoyed my dish and would order it again.

It seemed like everyone enjoyed their food but service was a little off. We went towards the end of the brunch hour so the restaurant wasn't very busy. However, our waiter still missed a couple of drink orders and got a couple of dishes wrong too. He also added something to the bill that we didn't order. However, he apologized for any mistakes and corrected them immediately.

In the end, The National was just okay for me. The food was nothing special but not bad either. The service was a little lackluster but everyone makes mistakes. Nothing seriously went wrong. The space is really nice and I would go back for the ambiance.

The National
557 Lexington Avenue
New York, NY 10022
(212) 715-2400
thenationalnyc.com

1 comment:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.