Thursday, January 10, 2013

DBGB

I'm going back, way back here. My posts are all over the place. Between my summer hiatus and busy work schedule, I posted what I could. Now that things have simmered down a bit, I've been able to go back to my photos and look through some of the more memorable meals. This meal at DBGB stems from the Feisty Foodies's birthday dinner back in October. A small group gathered and we bid a very happy birthday to the food loving princess.

I started off my meal with a light salad knowing that my entree would be heavy. This roasted beet and heirloom tomato salad ($12) was just perfect. The natural sweetness of the beets and tomatoes were balanced out with the acidity of the dressing. The burrata cheese in the middle was interesting. I expected a ball of cheese but this was their own rendition. It added a rich, creaminess to the dish. It was the perfect starter for me that night and certainly whet my appetite.
For my entree I had the gnocchi with lobster mushrooms in a cream sauce (~$20). This dish screamed umani. Lots of earthy flavors from the different mushrooms. The lobster mushroom was meaty and slightly sweet. It made be feel like I was eating a protein but I really wasn't. The creamy sauce was just thick and rich enough to cover the delicate gnocchi without overwhelming it. The final shaving of cheese on top added a slight funky pungency to the dish which I enjoyed. Just another layer of flavor.
While most people said no to dessert, I couldn't avoid the Chocolate Hazelnut Ice Cream Sundae ($9). This was made to share but most people at the table were too full. I tried my best but didn't want to get sick. I really did enjoy the ingredients including the praline gelato, chocolate truffles, hazelnut cookies, chocolate fudge, and whipped cream. I just didn't have room for it all. Where's a good garbage can when I need one?
Another solid meal had at DBGB. Good prices, good food, busy atmosphere. I'd go back any time. Birthday or not.

Happy Belated to Feisty Foodie!

DBGB
299 Bowery
New York, NY 10003
(212) 933-5300
danielnyc.com/dbgb.html

2 comments:

  1. Everyone else was too full? BoooOOO. The ice cream looks good. Too bad I was in VA then or that sundae would've met its demise. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Food loving princess" - hahaha! Thank you, thank you - dinner was a blast. I'm furrowing my brow that I didn't notice that salad on the menu or else I'd have ordered it - though I guess I was busy eyeing the marrow... ha! :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.