Monday, January 21, 2013

Jade Asian

Long time readers know that I really enjoy Jade Asian. It's my go to dim sum place in Flushing, Queens. What I didn't even realize myself is that I've never had dinner there. Well opportunity struck one day or circumstances forced certain decisions (friend with child for dinner) and we ended up at Jade Asian at night.
The restaurant was relatively empty on this Wednesday night as expected. Chinese people definitely do not eat out often at restaurants. It's usually a holiday or birthday. Anyway, I wasn't really bothered by it being empty since I've been here before.
My guests had several dietary constraints (no garlic, onions, spices, etc) so the ordering was a bit limited. But we were able to order some good dishes. First the Honey Walnut Shrimp. This is favorite of many people I know. Large plump shrimp are deep fried and tossed in a sweet mayo sauce garnished with blanched broccoli and candied walnuts. This rendition was pretty good. The shrimp was tender, large, and well cooked. The chef lightly tossed the shrimp in the mayo sauce which I prefer. I don't like it when it's poured on top or as a side. The broccoli was tender but not mushy. Perfectly cooked in salted water. The walnuts could have been a slightly better. I don't think they were roasted enough. But otherwise, a very good dish.
We also ordered half a crispy chicken with skin so crispy from the fat being rendered out. I've had better versions of this dish elsewhere but this was okay. The shrimp chips though were stale.
The vegetarian dish of Three Mushrooms (button, shittake, and enoki) with silky tofu and peas was a delight. The usual brown sauce made from soy sauce was there but it was delicious. I spooned this over my rice over and over again so each and every grain can be covered.
The Shanghai Pork Chops was a sight to be seen. They layered the sweet and sour fried pork chops in a way that was definitely pleasing to the eye. This was a big dish and was more then enough for the 4 of us. Flavorwise, it was good. A nice balance of sweet, sour, and savory. The chops were big, meaty and hardly gristley which you can find sometimes. The fried crust was crunchy with the first chop but become soggy throughout the meal, as expected. But overall, I really enjoyed it and would order it again.
And for our 5th dish (can't have 4 dishes in a Chinese restaurant; it's very unlucky) some fried rice. Nothing special about it. Just shrimp, pork scraps, veggies, and eggs stir fried with rice. I don't order fried rice in restaurants normally because they usually suck. It's made with scraps. It makes them money and saves waste. Making fried rice at home is the best. I mean, just look at the difference here. It's really not that difficult.
After dinner, fruit and some sweet soup is normally served gratis. Strangely, instead of oranges, they offered watermelon. It was September. I tried it anyway and it was terrible. First, it was warm. Second, it wasn't sweet at all. Yuck, yuck, yuck.
The sweet soup wasn't any better. This green lentil soup with tapioca pearls was sickeningly sweet with no lentil flavor at all.
Overall, I enjoyed my dinner at Jade Asian. Service was fine and food was good. Some dishes were better than others but I left satisfied. Just skip the dessert.

Jade Asian Restaurant
13628 39th Avenue
Flushing, NY 11354
(718) 762-8821
jadeasiannyc.com

1 comment:

  1. I see no oranges were given at the end.

    YAAAY pork chops, my favorite!!!
    I was gobbling up the same dish on Saturday. In fact, everything above was pretty much what I ate minus the watermelon and sweet soup.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.