Thursday, January 24, 2013

Mac Truck

This review is long overdue. I tried out the Mac Truck when it came into the Midtown scene for the the very first time in September. What can I say, I know I'm really behind on my posts. Things may have changed since they first started vending in Midtown. So please take this review with some reserve as it may not represent what it is now.


As I walked up the street, I approached the truck with excitement. Who doesn't love a good serving of mac and cheese? And it has been awhile for me unfortunately. With my eyes bigger than my stomach, I ordered 2 containers: one regular ($6) and one special ($7) which was the buffalo chicken mac n cheese. Each container was about 1.2-2 cups of pasta with a smooth cheese sauce. The pasta was not mushy (thank goodness!) and the cheese had a nice round of flavors to it. There certainly was some unidentifiable spices in it. But I enjoyed how creamy the sauce was. Solid mac and cheese.
The buffalo chicken mac n cheese needed some work, I think. The buffalo chicken sauce just sat on top of the plain mac n cheese while the blue cheese crumbles sat on top of that. This made it difficult to mix and get all the ingredients in one bite. I eventually figured out that if I ate on one side of the container, I eventually made enough room to mix everything together. The layering of this special wasn't ideal nor was the flavor. The buffalo sauce turned out more sweet than spicy. I didn't get that familiar tang from buffalo sauce. No vinegar smell. No heat.
While I didn't think the execution of the mac and cheese from the Mac Truck was perfect, I think there was a lot of potential. Even with my gripes, I won't write this truck off at all. I would love to see what they've done in the last 4 months. But one thing is for sure, the service was so friendly. You can't help but want to support businesses like this.

Mac Truck
Various Locations
mactrucknyc.com

2 comments:

  1. . Things may have changed since they first started vending in Midtown. So please take this review with some reserve as it may not represent what it is now. car shipment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's exactly what I said.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.