Monday, January 14, 2013

Phil's Steaks

Sometimes I come across a food truck so good that it amazes me. And all faith in humanity is restored. Phil's Steaks is such a truck. Good food, fair prices, and quick service. Get in my belly!

A good Philly Cheesesteak in NYC is a rare one. I've had several different kinds and none really matched the deliciousness I found in the brotherly city to our South. Carl's Steaks came very close. And then Phil's came around. They boasted about being the only authentic Philly cheesesteak in NYC. Sure, I had my reservations about their claims. But I was willing (and my stomach was too) to give them a try.
Their menu is very simple and very similar to what you would find in Philly. Steak sandwiches with the cheese of your choice. Onions: wit or witout. There's also a vegetarian sandwich but why torture yourself with the smell of cooking meat if you're going to get that. Half sandwiches run about $7-$8 at 6 inches long. Full sandwiches ($10-$11) are 10 inches. I went for the full Whiz Steak wit onions and extra cheese ($9.75+$1). I waited shortly then I was given this beauty of a sandwich wrapped tightly and with tons of napkins.
I sat nearby with my friend and we plowed through our sandwiches. The current football fantasy talk halted as we shoved delicious, juicy, tender, cheesy steak sandwich into our mouths. I had to remind myself to chew more. This was a good cheesesteak. Heck, this was a great cheesesteak. The bread, from Philly's famous Amoroso's bakery, was soft and yielded nicely to the cooked steak. It was lightly chopped but not so much that it became mush. The cheese gave it the creaminess it needed to bind everything together. The fried onions were tender and caramelized adding another layer of flavor to the whole thing. The meat to bread to extra cheese ratio was perfect. This was one fine sandwich.

Now how does it stack up to Philly? Lucky for me, I had just returned from a weekend trip there. And yes, it was the Philly cheesesteak I was looking for in NYC. In fact, it was even better than some of the places I tried in Philly. Yeah, that good. Just go and try it.

Phil's Steaks
Various Locations
philssteaks.com

8 comments:

  1. agreed Phil's makes the best cheesesteak i've had outside of Philly. better than plenty of spots in Philly too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds very promising. Yet to try Phil's but perhaps when I walk by them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't knock the veggie one! Its a good option for people that don't mix meat and dairy (kosher style/hallal) or are vegetarian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it is! I was just kidding. It's probably one of the better vegetarian options out in Midtown for sure.

      Delete
  4. Eh. Maybe they've upped their game, but I found it lacking: a little dry, far too expensive for the quantity, not enough Wiz on the regular steak. Carl's is still tops in NYC.

    But yeah, this is better than the terrible Pat's and Geno's steaks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sandwich was not dry at all. I love cheese so I got double whiz.

      Delete
  5. I think 99 miles is comparable. Plus the added benefit of always knowing where they are.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.