Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Tuesday Night: Edi & The Wolf

Towards the end of  one year, my friends thought that we weren't hanging out enough. It's true, we weren't. So they started Tuesday night get-togethers. Every Tuesday, we'll pick a bar to drink, eat, and hang out for a couple of hours. Whoever can make it will attend. If you're busy, it's okay. There's always next week. So this is Tuesday Nights on Tasty Eating where you will find bars that serve food and how we like them.

On this recent Tuesday Night, we headed out to: Edi & The Wolf
I needed to change things up a bit. Although I do love the pub fare at Phebe's, I don't constantly want that kind of food: fried everything. So I suggested Edi & The Wolf one night for Austrian fare. Not to my surprise, my friends were also craving something different.

We arrived to a fairly empty restaurant and were seated immediately. It filled up as the night went on. I was put in charge of selecting things from the menu. You know what happens when I'm put in charge? I order too much. It happens pretty much every time.


I started our meal off with the Flatbread ($14) which came with mushrooms, herbs, cheese, and onions. The bread was paper thin and crunched as we bit into it. The amount of toppings was just perfect. Not too much, not too little. I enjoyed the earthy flavors of this dish and would order it again. Oh and they rotate the toppings based on the season.
I also chose a selection of cheeses so we can pick on it while we sipped our beers throughout the night. They offer a selection of 3/6 cheeses for $13/$18. The latter is the much better deal. Our cheeses that night were Quadrello di Bufalo, Grayson, Landaff, Caciocavallo, and 2 servings of Monte Alba. They ran out of the other one we ordered. The cheeses are accompanied by sunflower seeds, quince, candied walnuts, and crusty bread (not pictured). I really loved how they labeled the slate with the names of the cheese. I can never remember which cheese is what even if the waiter explains it to me.
! also ordered an accompanying charcuterie plate to go with the cheeses. Unfortunately, I can't remember the names of the meats but I do remember that there was bacon, salami, tartare, and one other one I can't remember. Great to nibble on though the portions were small.
For something more filling, I chose to share some of the entrees since they sounded so good. Wiener Schnitzel ($21) is a must. Here, the pork is pounded super thing, breaded and dried until golden and crusty. It sits on top of potato salad, lingonberry sauce, and cucumber. This schnitzel was excellent. Crunchy outside, tender inside, and well seasoned.
As good as the schnitzel was, people could not stop talking about the Spatzel ($17). This pasta dish came with a rich, creamy sauce but balanced out with fresh arugula and fried onions. Everything just worked really well together. We basically licked this plate clean.
And to make ourselves feel better, we ordered a side of brussel sprouts ($7). But it was cooked with pancetta so that wasn't as healthy as we thought it would be. It was standard fare.
Overall I really enjoyed Edi & The Wolf. The food was executed well, the space inviting, and the service friendly. I would go back to try some of the other dishes on the menu. Or keep ordering the schnitzel and spaetzel.

Edi & The Wolf
102 Avenue C
New York, NY 10009
(212) 598-1040
ediandthewolf.com‎

1 comment:

  1. we went a couple months back and enjoyed it a lot.

    really great schnitzel!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.