Thursday, March 28, 2013

Cha Pas

A revisit to Cha Pas with my friend, Haribo Mule, visiting from Germany. Neither one of us was feeling pho, which is strange, but there's plenty of other food to be had. We started with the Cha Gio ($4) which is crispy fried spring rolls. This version had pork, shrimp, taro, mushrooms, and noodles. They wrapped the filling in rice paper and fried until crispy. Not bad at all but the serving size was quite small.

For my entree, I had the Thit Kho Trung Nuoc Dua ($13). They braised my pork bacon and eggs in a clay pot with lots of aromatics and sauces until tender and delicious. Vegetables are tossed in later, and a bowl of rice completes the meal. Both salty and sweet, this is a dish to satisfy a hungry person looking for lots of flavor. This is a hefty serving but not too much for me on this hungry day. I nearly finished it all but I didn't want to fall asleep at work for the rest of the day.
He had the Vietnamese Chicken Curry (lunch special - $8) which he seemed to enjoy though he did say it wasn't very spicy.
He also ordered the traditional banh mi (lunch special - $6.75) which was unbalanced with the amount of vegetables to meat to bread.
Although the food at Cha Pas is far from being really good Vietnamese food in NYC, it's a very decent choice considering the options in the area. It does, in fact, sate my cravings at times when I'm too lazy to trek downtown.

Cha Pas
314 W 52nd Street
New York, NY 10019
(212) 956-9300
chapasnyc.com

2 comments:

  1. Yummy. Love Thit Kho. I only just learned in the past few years that they have almost exactly this dish in Cambodia and Thailand. I can't remember the khmer name (my ex cousin in law) but the Thai version is Moo Palo. Had it at Wondee Siam (off-menu item).

    My mom usually makes it with skin-on pork shoulder but every now and then she would use belly or even rib belly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a similar Chinese version too.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.