Monday, April 1, 2013

Cooking: Andrew Zimmern's One Pot Sticky Chicken Wings

Sometimes when I'm watching a cooking show, I get so enamored by a dish that I immediately look it up, print it out, and make it as soon as possible. Andrew Zimmern's One Pot Sticky Chicken Wings was such a dish. It's sweet, spicy, and savory. The kind of dish that the act of licking fingers is not only allowed but also encouraged.
First up, the chicken wings. I like to buy my chicken wings from the butcher. Why? Because they're pretty big and meaty. I really dislike a scrawny wing. So I'll go the extra mile and buy the good kind. I cooked them in oil for a few minutes to blister the skin.
While the chicken cooks, I gathered the seasonings. Here are the wet and dissoluble ingredients including soy sauce, xiao shing wine, oyster sauce, mirin, and sugar.
And here are the spices: grated ginger, red chilis, anise, and cinnamon.
Into the pot the spices went and cooked until fragrant.
Then I added the soy sauce mixture. Turn to coat evenly.
Cover and bring to a boil. Then uncover and reduce the sauce until very thick and sticky.
Remove any hard leftover spices (anise, cinnamon) and serve immediately. The scallions on top are optional. The recipe also calls for lime wedges on the side which I think would be fantastic with that acidic balance. Unfortunately, I didn't have any limes.
Overall, I enjoyed this dish and would make it again. Next time, I would use whole red chilis instead of chili flakes for more heat. And I would reduce the sauce a bit more. It wasn't thick and sticky enough for me. I would also mix in half dark soy and half light soy to control the salt level. Otherwise, a really good dish. It's great for parties since it's a one pot meal.

Andrew Zimmern's One Pot Sticky Chicken Wings

Ingredient List
3 pounds chicken wings, wing tips removed and wings cut into 2 pieces
2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
4 small dried red chiles
2 whole star anise
One 3-inch cinnamon stick
1/6 cup dark soy sauce
1/6 cup light soy sauce
1/3 cup sake or xiao shing wine
3 tablespoons oyster sauce
3 tablespoons mirin
3 tablespoons sugar
2 scallions, thinly sliced
lime wedges (optional)

Instructions
Total Time: 40 minutes
Servings: 6

1. In a very large nonstick skillet (or in batches), cook the chicken wings over moderate heat, turning once, until golden, about 8 minutes.
2. Add the ginger, chiles, star anise and cinnamon and cook over moderately low heat, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
3. Add the soy sauce, sake, oyster sauce, mirin, sugar and 1/3 cup of water and bring to a simmer over moderate heat.
4. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Uncover and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until the wings are cooked through and the sauce has reduced to a thick glaze, about 8 minutes. Discard the chiles, star anise and cinnamon. Transfer the chicken wings to a platter, scatter the scallions on top and serve. Serve with lime wedges.

1 comment:

  1. The wings don't look BIZARRE enough to me. :P

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.