Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Tuesday Night: Shanghai Cafe

Towards the end of  one year, my friends thought that we weren't hanging out enough. It's true, we weren't. So they started Tuesday night get-togethers. Every Tuesday, we'll pick a bar to drink, eat, and hang out for a couple of hours. Whoever can make it will attend. If you're busy, it's okay. There's always next week. So this is Tuesday Nights on Tasty Eating where you will find bars that serve food and how we like them.

On this recent Tuesday Night, we headed out to: Shanghai Cafe
On this night, we wanted to eat Chinese food. I suggested dim sum and everyone was on board. We headed our way to Nom Wah but then realized they were having a party for the Lucky Rice Festival. Oops! Bad timing on us. So, I suggest Shanghai Cafe instead for soup dumplings. Not a shabby alternative at all.


My friend had me order for the table. And you know what that means, over ordering!! Hahaha! I started with the Cha Chiang Mein ($5). This is more like a slightly spicy cold peanut noodle than cha chiang mein to me but who cares because it's tasty anyway. And it's a good deal at $5. Large plate of noodles that easily fed the 7 of us.
Next the Tiny Fried Buns with Pork ($5) is mostly bread but the crust that they get on the bottom of this bun is so crispy and crunchy. I'd still order these to my delight.
The Shredded Pork and Preserved Cabbage ($7) is a favorite with the chewy rice cakes, meaty pork, and salty sour cabbage. Those rice cakes can and will expand in your stomach. We warned. Don't think you can eat more than you actually can.
The Scallion Pancakes ($2.25) was the least impressive of the lot. Not a lot of scallions in there. Mostly just dough. But fried dough at least.
And finally the Steamed Tiny Buns with Pork ($5 per tray). I prefer the pork version over the one with pork and crab roe. Most of the times, restaurants aren't using good quality crab roe and the taste just becomes fishy and not briny and tasting of the ocean. With that, I don't think it ever justified the extra cost. In case you're wondering, it's $2 more per tray.
Ah, my favorite soup dumplings in the city. Masterfully wrapped with a gazillion pleats holding inside juicy, fatty ground pork and broth. A dip into the black vinegar (yes, I dip the whole thing in. I do not bite a hole then pour the vinegar in) and into my mouth. It's a smooth process. Pick up, dip, mouth, chew. Be careful not to burn yourself. Almost everyone does the first time. Some people, still do it every time. You know who you are.

Shanghai Cafe
100 Mott Street
New York, NY 10013
(212) 966-3988
shanghaicafenyc.com

4 comments:

  1. Want. Soup. Dumplings. Ugggghhhhh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wanted to comment as myself. The soup dumplings messed with my head enough to f' it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to say that the comment sounded like someone I knew.

      Even when it's hot out, I can still eat soup dumplings.

      Delete
  3. I need to go to this place. Have yet to have their XLBs.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.