Thursday, May 2, 2013

Fatty Cue (West Village)

With the Brooklyn location of Fatty Cue under construction (it has now since reopened), the West Village restaurant has taken up a lot of the business. When I saw a coupon for a meal there, I immediately jumped on it. You see, I've pretty much have weened myself off all these coupon sites.  Once in a long while I might check the websites to see what's going on. But normally, I just forget. Luckily, I stumbled upon a coupon for Fatty Cue. But it's not like I need a reason to go there. I loved it in Brooklyn.
They started off our meal with some bone consumme. It was really rich in flavor. You can't drink a lot of this so I was glad it came in a small cup.



Then we moved onto the Chicken Liver Mousse ($12) with apple-cider bourbon gelee and toast. This was a good sized portion in a mini mason jar. We slathered it onto our toast and even ordered more bread to finish it all. The mousse was creamy and rich with the right amount of fat added to it to balance out the mineral flavors.
Next the 1/2 Pound Deep Fried Bacon ($19) with sweet and spicy salsa verde. This coriander rich pork belly was crisp on the outside and fatty tender on the inside. Not a lot of the fat was rendered out (not that I'm complaining) due to the cooking method so the condiment was absolutely necessary in order to finish off this plate. Lots of savory, sweet, spicy, and fresh flavors going on here. A must order dish.
The Lamb Ribs ($14) with cincalok emulsion seemed to fall flat next to the pork belly. They weren't bad, per se, but didn't have us drooling either like the pork did.
And last, the Smoked Bobo Chicken ($18-half) with red onion, cucumber, and chili sauce was just okay. The chicken seemed to be a bit dry even with the dark meat pieces. By this point we were quite full, as I over ordered as usual. So not finishing the chicken wasn't too much of a disappointment. The sauce, however, was dynamite.
We enjoyed our meal at Fatty Cue (West Village location). Obviously some dishes were better than others but nothing was bad. Service was really attentive and friendly which we both noticed. We only waited a bit for the extra bread but that's okay. We didn't mind too much. Looking back, we only ordered meat dishes. Next time, we'll be more wise to order a more balanced meal with vegetables involved. Maybe we won't be as stuffed either. Maybe not. Ha!

Fatty Cue
50 Carmine Street
New York, NY 10014
(212) 929-5050
fattycue.com

1 comment:

  1. Sheeeeit. I want the belly!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.