Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Lunch Week 14: Salade Nicoise

So every Sunday, I head over to the kitchen to whip up a big batch of food for lunch the next week. Yes, I brown bag. And I almost always do it every week unless I become too busy to even buy cold cuts from the deli. I do it for several reasons being health, finance, and laziness. Now, you may think that spending hours on a day off to prep and cook five meals at once is hardly lazy. But let me remind you, I hate it when the time comes to decide what to eat for lunch every day. I work in Midtown so the choices are endless. My problem, the more choices, the harder it is for me. So it's much easier for me to have my lunch ready and already decided.

So my lunch for the week: Salade Nicoise
Sometimes when I go on vacation, it takes awhile for me to get back to my normal habits of eating healthy. The no-holding-back attitude while I was in France was wonderful. All those calories were offset with tons of walking. But when I got back to NYC, it has been mostly sitting (mainly in front of the computer at work) but the eating hasn't stopped. So instead of stopping what I love (eating delicious foods) I decided to make healthier delicious French foods. This week's lunch is no different with the salade nicoise.

Although a salad may sound boring to you, this one is hardly in that category. Sure it's not a buffalo chicken salad in a fried tortilla shell (can you really call that a salad though?) but it's got so many textures and flavors going on that it's really satisfying.

I've read a few recipes online and although this might not be the most authentic salade nicoise, I've selected the ingredients I think would work best for me. That includes: chopped bibb lettuce, canned tuna, anchovies, grape tomatoes, blanched haricot verts, boiled potatoes tossed with vinegar and dijon mustard, nicoise or kalamata olives, hard boiled eggs, sliced cucumbers, and a dijon vinaigrette. Very little dressing is needed since each and every element has its own unique flavor.

Fresh, crisp, crunchy, creamy, filling, satisfying, healthy, and interesting. Sweet, savory, tart, briny, salty, and spicy too. The colors and flavors of the food rainbow.

1 comment:

  1. I had my first ever Nicoise salad a week ago.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.