Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Lunch Week 15: Jap Chae

So every Sunday, I head over to the kitchen to whip up a big batch of food for lunch the next week. Yes, I brown bag. And I almost always do it every week unless I become too busy to even buy cold cuts from the deli. I do it for several reasons being health, finance, and laziness. Now, you may think that spending hours on a day off to prep and cook five meals at once is hardly lazy. But let me remind you, I hate it when the time comes to decide what to eat for lunch every day. I work in Midtown so the choices are endless. My problem, the more choices, the harder it is for me. So it's much easier for me to have my lunch ready and already decided.

So my lunch for the week: Jap Chae
I have made jap chae before and really enjoyed it. So I formally put it in my rotation for lunch. This time, I changed it up a bit by adding some gochujang (spicy chili paste).



The vegetables that I used were fairly the same as last time like enoki mushrooms, squash, carrots, onions, and bean sprouts. Julienne into small matchsticks.
And some spinach to round out the vegetables.
I boiled the noodles in water until pliable then rinsed it thoroughly. Into a large bowl with a good dousing of sesame oil and gochujang sauce. Then some raw sliced scallions. Mix well. With the rest of the vegetables, I sauteed them until just cooked then added it to the bowl of noodles. I mixed it every time I added something new.

The result is something slightly spicy with lots of different textures going about. I think I overcooked the noodles a bit because it lacked the chew that I find so pleasing in jap chae. I also forgot to drain out the water or juices from sauteeing the vegetables so the dish was a bit bogged down by that. Otherwise, I enjoyed this dish. Compared to regular jap chae, I think I like the latter better.

Previous post and recipe can be found here.

1 comment:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.