Thursday, May 9, 2013

Wallse

It's been a year since I've been to Wallse. A shame really because the meal was lovely and deserved to be written about. Now that I am writing about it, the timing is a bit perfect since what I ate that day will be pretty close to what they'll offer you on their seasonal menu now. Did I do that on purpose? Nope but things just work out like that sometimes.



I started the meal with the White Asparagus ($24) with apple, tartare, and an quail egg. Tender yet crisp, the asparagus was a delight. Refreshing in taste without the harsh asparagus flavor. A nice delicate form of asaparagus. The tartness of the cubed apples and the richness of the tartare and egg added a mix of contrasting flavors and textures.
Mr. M&P had the Quark Spaetzel ($20) with spring vegetables. Similar to the texture of pasta, the spaetzel was chewy and slightly dense. The freshness of the vegetables lightened the dish up and was the perfect contrast.
For my second course, I had the Maine Lobster ($39) with lobster broth and heirloom tomatoes. Another really nice light dish screaming of the spring season. The ocean flavor of the lobster paired nicely with the natural sweetness of the tomatoes.
He had the Trout ($35) over bok choy and garnished with greens. A heartier piece of fish with a variety of cooked and raw vegetables.  Everything was cooked perfectly which led nicely to our third savory course.
As my main course, I had the Viennese Beef Goulash ($34) with spring vegetables. The deep flavor of beef and vegetables usually derived from stews cooking for a long time was present in this modern take. The beef was incredibly tender and the flavor intense. The sauce was most likely rendered until thick and glossy. The fresh vegetables was a welcome delight to the dish as it brought it out of the depths of being heavy to just right.
Mr. M&P had the Roasted Duck ($36) with au jus and sauteed spinach. Again, complex flavors in both the meat and the sauce. The dish was well balanced with the accompanying garnishes of vegetables. A well thought out plate.
And to finish off the meal with something sweet, I had the Crispy Apple Strudel ($14) with rhubarb ice cream. A lighter dessert perfect for the amount of food I ate earlier. A warm apple strudel that was light and crispy on the outside while sweet and gooey on the inside. The creamy yet slightly tart rhubarb ice cream paired very well.
He had the Milk Chocolate Feuilletine ($14) with vanilla ice cream. Deep chocolate flavors but light in texture. We were thankful this wasn't a gut bomb at the end of our meal. Again, really well thought out.
And with our bill came a plate of mignardises of almonds, cookies, and pate fruits. A nibble here and there is all I had.
Overall, I really enjoyed myself at Wallse. The food was different being Austrian but the quality of the execution was exceptional. From the front of the house to the back, I was very pleased with my experience here. I would not hesitate to go back, especially for the schnitzel which looked excellent on my neighbor's table.

Wallse
344 W 11th St
New York, NY 10014
(212) 352-2300
kg-ny.com/wallse

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.