Thursday, June 20, 2013

(Belated) Lunch Week 20: Lamb and Romaine Salad

So every Sunday, I head over to the kitchen to whip up a big batch of food for lunch the next week. Yes, I brown bag. And I almost always do it every week unless I become too busy to even buy cold cuts from the deli. I do it for several reasons being health, finance, and laziness. Now, you may think that spending hours on a day off to prep and cook five meals at once is hardly lazy. But let me remind you, I hate it when the time comes to decide what to eat for lunch every day. I work in Midtown so the choices are endless. My problem, the more choices, the harder it is for me. So it's much easier for me to have my lunch ready and already decided.

So my lunch for last week: Lamb and Romaine Salad
Oof, I realized that I was eating too many processed carbohydrates for lunch. I've been trying to reduce my intake and have had good results. But I recently fell off the wagon with sandwiches, mac n cheese, and noodles. So I kept it simple this time. I took my leftover chimichurri sauce to marinate the boneless leg of lamb for 1 hour. While that tenderized and flavorized (Is that a word? No), I prepped the other ingredients which was mainly chopping vegetables. Romaine lettuce, cucumbers, radishes, tomatoes, scallions, and shallots. That last one was sauteed in oil until browned.

The leg of lamb was roasted in the oven for about 45 minutes at 375oF until the internal temperature reached 160oF. Then it was cooled and cut up into bite sized pieces. I left the salad undressed as it didn't need much due to the natural flavors of each of the ingredients. Maybe a lemon vinaigrette next time but it was fine as is. It tasted refreshing yet hearty. Lots of flavors and textures mixed about. I really enjoyed it and didn't get tired of it after 5 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.