Thursday, June 27, 2013

Bobwhite Lunch and Supper Counter

I enjoyed Bob White Kitchen so much the first time that I needed to go back to make sure it wasn't just a one time ethereal experience. And that my dreams of crunchy, crispy fried chicken with juicy meat inside wasn't actually a recurring nightmare leaving me to yearn and never be satisfied ever again. So back I went with Mr. M&P and Dessert Zombie who not only happily agreed but willingly agreed to go with me.
With an extra person this time, we opted for the Fried Chicken Supper for 4 ($48) which includes 12 pieces of fried chicken, 4 biscuits, and coleslaw. We asked for all dark meat. They paused and asked the chef. At first they said it would take too long to fry, but to our merry surprise, they gave it to us anyway. In fact, they did one step more. They fried up 8 pieces right away. We bit into the drumsticks and thighs as they were piping hot, juicy, and yet oh so crunchy. Well seasoned and perfectly cooked. After we finished the first plate, they have us the last 4 which were freshly fried and hot. Wow, that's service and great quality control.

For our sides, we had the mac n cheese ($4.50), collard greens ($4.50), and...
 The Brunswick Stew ($4.50). I've never had Brunswich stew before but it was tomato based with lots of vegetables including corn, okra, potatoes, and onions. I really enjoyed it for it's complexity but also for its simplicity. The mac n cheese and collards were solid too. The former being creamy with the right amount and consistency of cheese while the latter was cooked down but still resembled vegetables in texture and flavor.
My second time at Bob White was fantastic. Was it as good as my first time? No. It was better. You know how they say you'll never experience something as good as the first time? Well they were wrong. It can be better and Bob White just proved that. I'll be back again and you know it.

Bobwhite Lunch and Supper Counter
94 Avenue C
New York, NY 10009
(212) 228-2972
bobwhitecounter.com

4 comments:

  1. Brunswick stew I've encountered in NC has always had some pork in it, plus lima beans to eat around.

    That chicken looks incredible. I'm gearing up for a fourth trip in as many months, so if you're up for it...I'll even eat the white meat if I have to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Always up for more fried chicken.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.