Friday, June 21, 2013

Lunch Week 21: Baked Mahi Mahi with Pineapple Salsa

So every Sunday, I head over to the kitchen to whip up a big batch of food for lunch the next week. Yes, I brown bag. And I almost always do it every week unless I become too busy to even buy cold cuts from the deli. I do it for several reasons being health, finance, and laziness. Now, you may think that spending hours on a day off to prep and cook five meals at once is hardly lazy. But let me remind you, I hate it when the time comes to decide what to eat for lunch every day. I work in Midtown so the choices are endless. My problem, the more choices, the harder it is for me. So it's much easier for me to have my lunch ready and already decided.

So my lunch for the week: Baked Mahi Mahi with Pineapple Salsa
I've been meaning to include more fish in my diet. I really enjoy it but it's difficult to make it good for a packed lunch without upsetting someone. Either me as the diner or my fellow coworkers when I reheat it. So when I thought about this recipe, I think it made everyone happy.

Mahi mahi is a fairly mild fish but pretty meaty. I decided to cook it in parchment paper so the proteins are delicately cooked without releasing a lot of its fishy qualities. Salt and pepper then a slice of lemon on each steak. Oil and a splash of white wine finished the seasoning.
Then I folded up the packages making sure no leaks could be found. Then into the oven at 400oF for about 20 minutes.
After the fish comes out of the oven, I opened up the packages and found the steaks to be evenly cooked but a bit overdone. Next time I'll cook them closer to 10-15 minutes. But the flavor was nice and the lemon and wine sauce was perfect. Light but accentuated the fish.
Along with the fish, I made a pineapple salsa, sauteed spinach in oil and garlic, and reconstituted some roast potatoes in the oven.

This was the perfect summer lunch. Light but filling. The fish didn't need much reheating due to the salsa on top so only 30-45 seconds. No fishy smell for my neighbors! The fish was tender but a bit dry from being overcooked. But that's where the salsa helped. It was fresh, sweet, yet tangy. The spinach added a nice vegetable taste to all that fruit. The potatoes suffered the most but it was an afterthought. I would omit it next time. I would definitely make this again.

Pineapple Salsa
Makes 10 servings

Ingredients
1 pineapple, peeled, cored, and diced
2 avocados, peeled, seeded, and diced
1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
1 large shallot, minced
2 jalapenos, seeded, and minced
1 bunch cilantro leaves, minced
1 limes, juiced
Salt
Pepper
Olive oil

Directions
Mix the first 7 ingredients together. Season with salt, pepper, and oil. Chill for at least an hour. Toss one more time before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.